Login   Sign Up 

This 28 message thread spans 2 pages: 1  2  > >  
  • Stephen King - On Writing
    by Al T at 21:12 on 25 February 2004
    Hi, this weekend, after feeling that I was running out of steam, 50,000 words in to a novel I'm writing, I read Stephen King's book 'On Writing'. I thought this was about the best thing I've ever read on the subject of writing fiction for publication, and it gave me the inspiration to carry on the battle.

I've never read any of King's novels - although I have seen several of the film adaptations - but that made no difference at all to my enjoyment of his writing book. In fact, I think I will now try one of his novels, as I suspect he writes much better fiction than I'd ever imagined.

Apart from being a kind of writing manual, the book is also an inspiring tale of triumph over adversity. I hope it inspires you too!

Al.
  • Re: Stephen King - On Writing
    by anisoara at 21:58 on 25 February 2004
    I have not read this book, but have often heard that it is super. Quite unlike books about writing such as The Artist's Way and Writing Down the Bones, although I love both of these. How does King structure On Writing? What does he focus on?

Anne Marie
    by Al T at 22:10 on 25 February 2004
    Hi Anne Marie, the book starts with a memoir section on King's tough childhood, and how he first got started as a writer. Then it moves on to his tips for good writing and re-writing, which include advice on avoiding self-indulgence, and thoughts on the importance of rigour and discipline. The last section deals with King being hit by a car and being badly injured, whilst out for a walk during the writing of this book.

One of the reasons I picked this book in the first place is that, unlike many authors of writing manuals, King is a hugely successful commercial novelist, and therefore knows better than most what he's talking about.

Bedtime for me now (see King on the importance of routine!)before I try and bash out another 1,000 words tomorrow (King writes 2,000 a day, but he's a human dynamo!). Goodnight,

Al.
    by Watson at 22:21 on 25 February 2004
    I bought this book about 3 years ago and I loved it and found it very inspirational. I've read quite a few of King's novels - some were brilliant, others unfortunately, very disappointing. But if there is one area that he really shines it's characterisation - he can't be beaten.

Anyway Al, 50,000 words is an achievement. Don't give up and get your novel finished. I seem to get to about 40,000 words and start something else!
    by Al T at 08:24 on 26 February 2004
    Many thanks for your encouragement. I certainly intend to persevere with my book, and, since I started reading King's book on Saturday have written another 5,000 words. So, I'm telling myself that with another six weeks of hard slog I should have something to show for it. That is, as long as I can stick to my King-inspired new regime of switching off my always-on internet connection and my mobile phone, and resisting the temptation to make the most of the sunshine outside, in case it has gone by the time I've achieved my daily writing quota. Head down and focus!

By the way, which of King's novels would you recommend to a new reader? I tend to be put off by anything that's very long unless it's in Penguin Classics.

Al
    by Grinder at 09:01 on 26 February 2004
    I’ve been toying with the idea of buying that book for some time. I would usually shy away from reading someone’s ‘how to write’ because I feel I have to work out my own method, but since it’s King and recommended, I might just buy it.

As for recommendations, I really liked ‘IT’, ‘The Tommyknockers’ and ‘The Stand’, I also really enjoyed ‘Misery’. Strangely, I’ve never read any of his classics?
    by word`s worth at 09:14 on 26 February 2004
    I've read about this book from Stephen King also, on this website I think. Highly recommended - think I might peruse a copy and see if it's worth buying. I've already got loads of books about 'Writing'.

Recommendations of Stephen King's books. I read The Stand when I was a teenager and was absolutely gripped by it. A fantastic read. It was a little unusual for me to read a horror and I can't remember what made me choose to - but it was a real page-turner. I think a movie was later made of it - starring Rob Lowe - but I didn't finish that, the book was far better! Then of course there's Misery - great read and movie. Those are the only two I've read of King's but thoroughly enjoyed both.

Nahed
    by Al T at 12:25 on 26 February 2004
    Grinder and Nahed, many thanks for the novel recommendations. I started writing my book in October, having lost my very time-consuming job, and having free time for the first time in years. At the beginning of this year, though, I was starting to feel gloomy, wondering if I was wasting my time, and making myself unemployable by writing fiction full time without a commission. I had tried it once before, when I had a highly respected agent, but still fell flat on my face. Anyway, to give myself something to look forward to, and to impose a deadline on myself, I booked a trip to Asia for the end of March. I think I'll buy one of King's novels at the airport on my way out. And whether or not I'm successful this time, I feel that with King's help, I will at least have given it my best possible shot.
    by Dee at 13:04 on 26 February 2004
    The Tommyknockers is one of his best, in my view. The Dark Half is another one which I found myself totally unable to put down but had to read 'from behind the sofa'

Enjoy.

Dee
    by Al T at 13:35 on 26 February 2004
    Thanks, Dee. I am intrigued by the title 'The Tommyknockers', as I can't think what it means. It has me imagining scenes from a Carry On, rather than a Carrie type film...I'd better pick up a copy at Heathrow and satisfy my curiosity.
    by James Anthony at 13:36 on 26 February 2004
    Probably about people who aren't too enthused about the Who opera!

Okay, should I hide behind my sofa now?
    by tinyclanger at 13:40 on 26 February 2004
    I would say so, JA, and if I were you, I'd stay there for the rest of the day...

<Added>

Oh, I like Stephen King, despite somehow feeling I shouldn't (tc the snob, there's a revelation)
    As a child I had recurring nightmares after watching a film of Salem's Lot...theres a bit in it where these vampires hovver outside windows, and of couse the stupid people inside let them in....that STILL petrifies me if I think of it late at night.
    So, recently I decided to read the book, thinking I would free myself from the terrible childhood visions..
    ....I was alone in the house and had to sleep with the light on all night!

x
    tc
    by word`s worth at 13:53 on 26 February 2004
    Al

Giving it your best shot is all the anyone can ask of a person. It's all you can ask of yourself really. I'm of the attitude that everything happens for a reason and that everything has it's right time and place in this universe. If you weren't successful the first time, years back, then it just wasn't meant to happen then - but you've found yourself once more returning to something which you clearly love to do and that is write. Never give up on your dreams, because that's like giving up on yourself and everyone one of us is worth the effort.

It's great to hear that you're working so consistently now on your writing and I wish you the best of luck in fulfilling your dream.

Perhaps you would like to put a sample of your work on the site? I'd be very interested to read something of yours. If you're not comfortable doing that though I'd understand.

Nahed

<Added>

Well slap me with a spelling stick...

the anyone = that anyone

has it's right time = its
    by Al T at 14:15 on 26 February 2004
    Thanks, everyone, for all your comments. Nahed, that's a very kind sentiment - many thanks. I recently sent a sample of my book to a professional, so I don't want to risk upsetting him by publishing on the site until I've heard his thoughts.

Anyway, I'm glad to see that the sun is still shining so I'm off to enjoy the remains of the day (very good title for a book there...).
    by Heckyspice at 14:24 on 26 February 2004
    I found a copy of on-writing in a bargain bookshop about 3 years ago. It's been a well thumbed book since then. To be blunt, if you cannot learn something from the most successful fiction author, then who can you learn from?

The essay on how a draft is revised is very informative. I like the equation 2nd draft = 1st draft - 10%.
  • This 28 message thread spans 2 pages: 1  2  > >