Login   Sign Up 

Random Read

This 56 message thread spans 4 pages: 1  2   3   4  > >  
  • Richard and Judy- the new king and queen of literature?
    by Anna Reynolds at 15:19 on 26 February 2004
    Have a look in News if this doesn't make any sense. basically- Richard & Judy, Mr & Mrs Daytime TV, have done an Oprah- started a book club that has doubled, tripled, etc slightly obscure books literally overnight. Is it a good thing that they have this much influence? Not an opinion, a question.
  • Re: Richard and Judy- the new king and queen of literature?
    by old friend at 15:41 on 26 February 2004
    Anna,

I think the answer depends upon what you mean when you say a 'good' thing. I am sure it is good if it encourages more people to read and buy more books.

It will be interesting to see which books are selected for this promotional boost.

It just goes to show what tremendous influence exposure on TV in a popular programme can have in terms of sales.

I just wonder about the 'behind the scenes' activities, with writers, agents and publishers all pushing hard to have their wares featured.
    One sees a lot of this in the music field.

Len
    by Account Closed at 15:49 on 26 February 2004
    The answer to the posed question depends entirely upon why these people have influence, and how they came about it, and also what purpose their influence serves, and how they wield it.

So, a mildly amusing couple from morning/daytime television that have become the butt of impersonation jokes from every comedian ever to hear their names, galavanting around trying to get people to read books in order to boost their own profiles as the mild intellectuals they consider themselves to be doesn't immediately strike me as 'good'.

However, selfish acts often have selfless consequences, and if, in this case, the consequence is more people readin, and some small increase in the level of education of the typical British plebian, then it can't be all bad.
    by Dee at 15:50 on 26 February 2004
    Would it be bitchy to suggest they’ve probably only just learned to read?

Yes, I suppose it would – so I won’t say it…

I say ‘good for them’. Anything which gets more people into bookshops has got to be applauded.

Dee.
    by Account Closed at 16:32 on 26 February 2004
    What's that Dee? You don't have a very high opinion of Richard & Judy?

See, we could almost be the same person
    by anisoara at 16:37 on 26 February 2004
    I don't even know who Richard and Judy are, but I do think that it is a good thing to get those lesser known books into the limelight.

Anne Marie
    by Elspeth at 17:11 on 26 February 2004
    I'm not fans of theirs by any stretch, but I think anything that gets people reading can't be bad. Apparantly publishers sent in hundreds of books which were whittled down to fifty or so, and then R&J chose the final batch with the programme makers. But I think it's good that, unlike Oprah, they don't benefit financially from the book sales and they say if they don't like the book. And what I've seen of the list seems quite varied, from 'The Bookseller of Kabul' to 'The Lovely Bones', 'Brick Lane' and 'Starter for Ten'. Nothing drastically unexpected but an interesting mix.
    Katie
    by tinyclanger at 17:19 on 26 February 2004
    Wonder if they've done any poetry..then I'd be interested. Poetry sales could do with a massive booost, we need a, equivalent J.K. Rowling, (maybe?) or a Zadie Smith. Now that would be good.
    Anyone know if they've done any poets? I think probably not...

tc

<Added>

I could photocopy a few sets of my stuff, if anyone thinks it would help...I'll even staple them..
    by Sue H at 17:50 on 26 February 2004
    I find it utterly bizarre that they have been chosen above all other "celebrity" presenters but am with IB on this one. I've only had the misfortune of watching them on those days when I'm too hungover to move from the sofa but have never thought them particularly literary, more of a joke really. Still it could have been Terry Wogan! Eurovision Book Contest? If Richard and Judy get people off the sofa and into the libraries and bookshops then good for them.
    Sue
    by Anna Reynolds at 19:00 on 26 February 2004
    Absolutely. And as Katie points out, it's crucial that they don't get a cut of sales- actually, there's nothing at stake for them in terms of choosing one book over another. And who knows, maybe they'll get more adventurous with their choices- maybe even poetry, TC? or some gay/lesbian fiction- I doubt there's any in the current selection, tho' could be wrong. Something a bit less able to sell itself, like Brick Lane etc. Also- I kind of like the fact that the literati don't like the power that R & J are suddenly wielding.

Another thought- what about an Alternative version? Who would the hosts be and what books?
    by Sue H at 19:10 on 26 February 2004
    Oh please not Julian Clary or Graham Norton. PLEASE!
    by word`s worth at 20:31 on 26 February 2004
    Jonathon Woss would be good and he could wead out exerpts fwom the books he selects. I think he's a gweat film cwitic.

by amnesia at 20:33 on 26 February 2004
    Or Ant and Dec.

<Added>

That was in response to Sue H.
    by Dee at 20:37 on 26 February 2004
    How about Dame Edna Everage and Sir Les Patterson?

Omigod! What am I on tonight? Someone must have out something in my cocoa…

ee.

<Added>

out something? Is that a Freudian slip?

;)
    by bjlangley at 09:03 on 27 February 2004
    IB, I couldn't help but pick up on this:

However, selfish acts often have selfless consequences, and if, in this case, the consequence is more people readin, and some small increase in the level of education of the typical British plebian, then it can't be all bad.

Aye, that be right, more people need be readin if we be to evolve.

I know it's just a typo, I found it funny, okay?

As you R&J, I pretty much agree with the sentiment that if more people are reading, then it's a good thing.

All the best,

Ben
  • This 56 message thread spans 4 pages: 1  2   3   4  > >