Login   Sign Up 

This 56 message thread spans 4 pages:  < <   1   2   3  4 > >  
  • Re: Richard and Judy- the new king and queen of literature?
    by Nell at 14:01 on 27 February 2004
    James, I think I love you...
    by James Anthony at 14:07 on 27 February 2004
    I HAVE to tell people that the spitting image of Ian McKellan just came in my office (DON'T misread that)
    by Nell at 14:13 on 27 February 2004
    LOL!
    by Account Closed at 14:14 on 27 February 2004
    too late :S
    by tinyclanger at 14:15 on 27 February 2004
    JA, if Patrick turns up too...HE"S MINE!!

<Added>

Oh, and some books..well, I won't recommend intididual titles, but it would be good if the format could include some very new, unrecognised authors, some who are on their 'difficult second book' and then some forgotten/'unsexy' "classics" (for want of a better word) The Scasrlet letter by Nathaniel hawthorn, Love on the Dole by Walter Greenwood, erm,.. you get the idea. Not just the lastest ChickLit thing, which I'm more than a bit fed up of now.

<Added>

That's Scarlet Letter, btw.

An Idea-ette. Anyone fancy starting a Reading Group on WW? We could pick one title each month or so, and anyone who wanted could take part and then we'd have a Forum thread for feedback each time.
    Only problem I can see is us arguing about which book to choose, but we could take turns, or assign that job to an Expert, and all agree to go with their selection...Anna, Anna...!
    by Account Closed at 14:29 on 27 February 2004
    Count me out of that last idea tc, I'm very picky about the books I read (says the man with more than thirty Star Wars novels), and famously once refused to read past the fifth page of Salman Rushdie's "Fury", simply because I disliked the writing style. My girlfriend, who bought me the book as a gift, was not best pleased.
    by Dee at 14:44 on 27 February 2004
    Count me in. Great idea, tc… so you do have them occasionally, huh? xxx

I’m with you again, IB. I too have a Salman Rushdie. Midnight’s Children, in fact, which is so unread the pages have bonded together. I have to confess I misappropriated it many years ago when I was clearing out my, then, Boss’s car boot (don’t ask!). I’d heard such a lot about it I just couldn’t resist ‘borrowing’ it to read. As he didn’t notice it had gone and, very soon after, he absconded with the entire contents of the company’s bank account, I don’t feel remotely guilty.

Dee

by tinyclanger at 14:51 on 27 February 2004
    Oh, a writing group could be such fun....Midnight's Children is probably my all-time favourite novel, Dee. It's magical..poetic perhaps
    Gosh, we could have such....arguments!!
    Maybe not one of my better ideas, after all? Anyone else up for it, or do we think it would be chaos and tears time?

tc
    (Wishing possibly she'd stuck to whipped cream and Partick... wishing definately she had, in fact!

<Added>

Reading...that's Reading group...we do the writitng already.
    by olebut at 14:54 on 27 February 2004
    IB and Dee isn't it funny how we select books I have to feel that I wnatto rea dthem not sure realy what it is I haveto admit to never having read any Harry Potter nor indeed any of Mr Rushdie's outpourings.

Am I alone in thinking you pick a book up and it seems to communicate with you before you open the cover and you know almost instantly as to if you will enjoy it or not.

One way of getting books more noticed is to contact your local radio station and offer to do a regular book review programme for them if fthey dont already have one. We do a monthly half hour spot and often review additional books on other suitable programmes or interview local authors and publishers.
    by James Anthony at 14:56 on 27 February 2004
    Partick? As in Partick Thistle? Fan of Scottish football?

Not sure re reading group...would probably do first one to see and then review...
    by Anna Reynolds at 17:13 on 27 February 2004
    TC, re reading group, two options- apply to begin that very group yourself, and each take turns in choosing books, setting deadlines, and posting reviews of the books instead of fiction posts. Or, pick a book that everyone has/has access to, review it, and then others can add their reviews. I will happily help out, either by suggesting a book, or whatever.
  • This 56 message thread spans 4 pages:  < <   1   2   3  4 > >