Login   Sign Up 

Random Read

• Requesting synopsis formats
    by Grinder at 13:46 on 04 March 2004
    I just found this article, which seems to include some useful advice on how to write a synopsis.

http://il.essortment.com/synopsiswriteb_rqmx.htm

I’m particularly intrigued by the line “Each editor/publisher wants your synopsis in a certain way and guidelines can be requested with an SASE”.

I realise that customised cover letters are essential, but this suggests tailoring each synopsis submission also, is this so?

Any comments?
  • Re: Requesting synopsis formats
    by Dee at 14:12 on 04 March 2004
    Interesting. It's American but applies just as well over here although I've never heard of a publisher requesting a 10/12 page synopsis. (luxury!)

I have a format for synopses which I picked up somewhere along the line - haven't had a chance to use it yet and I'm damned if I can remember where I got it from. Hopefully the originator won't object to me reproducing it here (fingers crossed).

A synopsis has to answer the following questions:

What is the hook?
    What is the setting?
    What is the tone?
    Who are the characters?
    What is the main character's goal?
    What is the main character's motivation?
    What are the key scenes?
    What is the prime conflict?
    What is the main character's blackest moment?
    What is the main character's big crisis?
    What is the climax?
    What is the resolution?
    by Friday at 14:33 on 04 March 2004
    Thanks guys,
    This is useful info.

1o/12 page synopsis???
    I read (somewhere) that a synopsis from a first time writer is best kept to one page.

Did I dream it?
    Dawn,x
    by Dee at 14:45 on 04 March 2004
    No Dawn, you didn't dream it.

I believe most publishers ask for 1 or 2 pages and will accept single spacing.

I wonder what the situation is like in America on agents/publishers. It may be easier over there to approach publishers direct. In this country, we are much more likely to submit to an agent and have them present our work to a publisher which leads me to think that there must be some generally agreed 'standard' for the length of a synopsis - however broad. I can't imagine an agent asking authors for a new synopsis to suit each publisher.

Dee.
    by old friend at 15:26 on 04 March 2004
    Grinder,

I don't know who wrote that Article but it looks to me like it was based on research and not on personal experience... research into what others have written about synopses.

The guidelines suggested may be helpful but, to me, these are rather like trying to write a first-class travel book based upon a list of Towns and Cities.

A 20-page synopsis? Absolutely ridiculous!

Len
    by Grinder at 15:43 on 04 March 2004
    Yes I agree, I’d discounted the 20 page synopsis idea myself.

What concerned me more however, was the idea of asking agents what they want in a synopsis?

Is this something I should be concerned with or write to a standard formula (if such a thing exists)?
    by Friday at 16:05 on 04 March 2004
    Some agents say they don’t read the synopsis, they start with the writing. The letter and the first chapter. I’ve seen literary agencies ask for a synopsis similar to the blurb on the back of a published novel.
    That’s what I intended to do. Short and sweet.
    Oh, dear. All this different info. I think they’re trying to send us crazy.
    Dawn,x
    by Elsie at 23:21 on 04 March 2004
    Thanks for all the info, people, and also, am testing - the last two replies I've made tonight have not 'stuck' is ther something wrong with the site..?
    by Jumbo at 23:54 on 04 March 2004
    Stealing a paragraph I picked up somewhere - sorry, I don't know who originated this - a full synopsis is defined as follows: A sequential telling of the tale, from start to end, listing the major events, the feel of the story perhaps. This is an opportunity for you to show your 'voice' a little - if you want to use lyrical prose you can. Anything from one to three pages (but any more tends to be off-putting for editors.)

Another source suggests that a full synopsis should start with a twenty-five word ( or thereabouts ) sentence which describes your story. This source then lists the other essential elements of a full synopsis as being: the key elements of the story; the structure; the setting; the main characters; the conflict and - importantly - the ending!

Hope this helps!

In answer to your other point, I haven't experienced any difficulty this evening.

John
    by Elspeth at 10:48 on 05 March 2004
    Yes, please, please put the ending in the synopsis! It's fine to include a blurb type teaser if you want to, but don't leave the ending dangling! I need to know the full plot (and if it's got a twist I need to know if it's any good!)

Sorry, that's the one thing I find frustrating.

And yes, I wouldn't go beyond three pages for a synopsis.

Katie
    by Grinder at 13:00 on 05 March 2004
    Thanks for the comments so far, very useful.

I’m busy trying to pull together ONE synopsis, I’m still concerned about having to tailor my synopsis submissions. Although once again I think its going to come down to ‘write more, worry less’.

Thanks again.
    by Traveller at 14:54 on 06 March 2004
    Thanks also for all this useful stuff on synopsis writing - i'm finding it a real nightmare!
    by Tabitha at 22:54 on 07 March 2004
    Synopsis requirements vary from publisher to publisher – some like to see nothing more than the equivalent to the back of a dust jacket, others insist on a brief chapter to chapter resume. The only way to get it right is to ask the agent/publisher you're thinking of approaching. :-)