Login   Sign Up 

• Feelgood Story
    by Al T at 15:54 on 15 March 2004
    Hi, there's a great story in The Times today about a man called Clive Woodall, who stuggled for five years to find a publisher for his book, and then succeeded not only in selling the book rights, but also in getting a $1 million film deal with Disney:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/printFriendly/0,,1-2-1038546,00.html

How heartening to hear some good news for a change.

Al
  • Re: Feelgood Story
    by Nell at 16:30 on 15 March 2004
    Five years! Such persistence deserves reward. Thanks for that.
    by word`s worth at 16:46 on 15 March 2004
    Thanks Al for posting that. It lifted my spirits slightly - which is quite an achievement considering the sludge of depression I'm wallowing in and aimlessly wading through at the moment (okay - for the past week).

by Al T at 17:00 on 15 March 2004
    Chin up, Nahed! Spring will soon be here. In fact it has arrived in M&S where I just bought 20 daffodils for 99p. I see now that this story is in all today's papers. The Telegraph's version has some good quotes on the improbablity of getting published, but it clearly can happen:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/arts/main (I think you have to register for this)

<Added>

I think the best way to access the Telegraph story, if you're not already registered, is via the main portal:

www.telegraph.co.uk

Then put 'Clive Woodall' in the search box.

It's the most detailed piece I've seen, and you get a photo.
    by word`s worth at 18:16 on 15 March 2004
    That's a bargain Al! Maybe I should do that too, instead of nicking them from my neighbour's garden. He does have a lovely bunch of daffodils.

I had to register to read the article...wouldn't let me in the back door.

Interesting read, but then as he said, you have to be either famous or sleeping with someone famous to get published...now I can add knowing a bank manager who knows someone famous to the list.

It really is a matter of luck. Right time, right place. Maybe there never will be a right time and right place.

I'm going to stop now before I depress everyone else along with me.

But thanks for that anyway, Al. Speak to you soon
    by kennyp at 19:58 on 15 March 2004
    Hey, it definately gives hope to every would be novelist in the seemingly impossible task of trying to get published!

Kenny