Login   Sign Up 

• Industry poll on how to break a new author
    by Sue H at 12:55 on 19 March 2004
    Saw this on the Bookseller.com website. The results (so far) of an industry poll on the best way of breaking a new author. Thought it might be of interest.
    Sue

Which of these is the best way of breaking a new author?
    Publicity stunt at LBF 11%
    Entering a Lit Idol competition 0%
    Coverage on Richard and Judy 33%
    Media advertising 0%
    Bookshop tour 11%
    Word of mouth 44%

• Re: Industry poll on how to break a new author
    by Al T at 13:04 on 19 March 2004
    Sue, many thanks for posting that. That is very interesting, and actually rather encouraging!

Al
    by Sue H at 13:13 on 19 March 2004
    It's interesting that no one (so far) thinks that media advertising is worth it for a new author. Seems that it's still a case of who you know...
    Sue
    by Al T at 13:27 on 19 March 2004
    Yes, but you can always get to know new people if you make enough of an effort. It will probably surprise no one to hear that I live in London. But when I first arrived here, I knew literally one person, the mother of my aunt-by-marriage, who was sadly then suffering from early stage Alzheimer's. I got my first job by looking in the Yellow Pages for the industry that I was interested in, and then wrote seven letters to these people who didn't know me from Adam. Eventually I got two offers.

I have always found the whole job interview process about as enjoyable as I imagine sticking hot needles in my eye would be. And I am sure that the process of trying to find an agent and a publisher will sometimes be equally as nerve-wracking, humiliating or just plain irritating (my previous experience backs this up). However, it is a means to an end. No pain, no gain, I suppose.

Al.

by Friday at 14:35 on 19 March 2004
    I’m surprised at the list.
    I would have thought a great title and cover would help promote a new author. I’m sure many new authors are bought and read initially, just because of the book’s title and cover.
    Anyway, that's how I select new fiction when browsing.
    Dawn,x
    by Account Closed at 15:12 on 19 March 2004
    What morons conducted this? Are we saying that 1 in 3 new successful authors will owe their success to an appearance on Richard and Judy?

I think I just lost my will to live.