Login   Sign Up 

• One Book Wonder
    by swiss_miss at 08:58 on 22 March 2004
    Another question, sorry.

In the query letter, how important is it to mention that one has another book in the pipeline?

I've seen this mentioned quite a lot in these forums, and its not something I had considered adding.

It's true I intend to inflict a sequel on the chick-lit-reading public, if the first one ever got published.

I have it as a draft (well, ish) would it be worth mentioning?

Thanks so much to you guys who are very on the ball - if my query letter doesn't get results after this, nothing will!

• Re: One Book Wonder
    by ginag at 09:20 on 22 March 2004
    From what I have read, not having had any luck myself so far, I understand agents like to see that you have potential. I would include your future plans as it shows comitment to your writing and perseverance. I mean, not only are we mad enough to write one book, we start another before we even have a sniff of a publishing deal!

I am just about to rewrite my query letter. When I wrote to the last agent I mentioned vague plans for my next novel. This time I'm going to be more specific.

Good luck.

Gina.
  • Re: One Book Wonder
    by Dee at 14:54 on 22 March 2004
    It’s absolutely vital to mention that you have another book in the pipeline – in fact tell them you are planning another six!

Publishers say – and I’m inclined to believe them – that, due to the high cost of launching a new author, they make no money on the first novel. They may even make a loss. So they will expect to recoup their costs on subsequent books. (this probably also applies to agents)

You don’t need to have them written, or even plotted out, but you must give them the confidence that you have plenty of ideas as well as the stamina and self-discipline to produce them.

Good luck,

Dee.