Login   Sign Up 

This 19 message thread spans 2 pages:  < <   1  2 
  • Re: What Not To Write
    by Elspeth at 17:21 on 21 April 2004
    I think it's incredibly difficult as each agent has their own criteria and one's sens eof humour can be vastly different to someone else's.

Personally, I like a little humour, but it's not essential. I'd rather something was formal than overly familiar, as when writer's get too personal I sometimes lose the basic information I really need at this point.

As for photos - Colin has three adorable boys, and it was nice to put a face to the name. But overall, I'd agree with Adele that photos aren't necessary at this stage. Yes, publicity angles are useful to know about but it always comes back to the writing, particularly in the early stages. No one's work endures or becomes a bestseller purely on the basis of their personal information (with the exception of Devid Pelzer I suppose). For fiction, the writing is all important.

Katie
    by Account Closed at 18:05 on 21 April 2004
    I only include a photo with my submission if the agent/publisher expresses an initial interest. I don't do this for reasons of vanity, (no, really) but I always believe its good to put a face to a name.

Conversely, while I agree about the strength of the writing taking precedence, surely if the writing is strong, a photo isn't going to change an agent's mind...?

James x
    by Al T at 18:19 on 21 April 2004
    James, this is a very interesting topic. I am convinced that the way people look signifcantly effects the way they are perceived and then treated by others (this is actualy one of the themes of my book - a Dee-style plug!). The good looking, of both genders, are often assumed to be stupid, until they prove, categorically, that this is not the case, and are often treated with suspicion and jealousy, or conversely with distracted drooling. Whereas, people with deformities and disabilities are too often shunned, as they make those around them feel uncomfortable (my film of the week, The Station Agent, in which the central character is a dwarf, deals with this theme.).

As you've already told us you are a hottie :-) then your lovely photo might distract the agent from doing his or her job. But I suppose my stance really comes from wanting to know if I can write, which I feel is easier to judge in a 'blind tasting'.

Yours invisibly,

Adele.
    by Account Closed at 19:45 on 21 April 2004
    A very good point. In typical Libran style, I can honestly say I see both sides of the coin. Initially though, I'd never reveal my intense beauty upon an ususpecting agent or publisher. It just wouldn't be fair

In this arena, the writing does come first. I may use my looks to procure myself jobs I don't deserve and dates with people I'm not good enough for, but when it comes to my art, that's where I draw the line.

James x
  • This 19 message thread spans 2 pages:  < <   1  2