Login   Sign Up 

• Getting a name, e-mail or phone?
    by Grinder at 08:01 on 21 April 2004
    Can anyone help me with my latest writers block, of the anxiety kind!
    I want to contact agents to get names of people to whom I should send inquiry letters.
    Is it acceptable to make such initial enquiries via e-mail, or is it better to do it by phone?

I would appreciate any comments.

Grinder
  • Re: Getting a name, e-mail or phone?
    by Sue H at 09:47 on 21 April 2004
    I'd phone. That way you can find out if they're accepting anything and whether your stuff fits as well as getting a name. If you email, you may not get a response.
    Sue
    by Account Closed at 14:03 on 21 April 2004
    Most agencies and publishers, in my experience, are notorious for not replying to emails. I'd phone, get a person's name and that way you're dealing with a human being rather than a souless server.

James x
    by Grinder at 09:52 on 22 April 2004
    Sue & James,

Thanks for the advice, I suppose I’d come to that conclusion myself, but you both prompted me to listen to the voice of reason in my own head and not ignore it.

Thanks again, Grinder
    by Dee at 20:48 on 22 April 2004
    If you do phone make sure in advance that you have all the facts they need. If you’re asking for a name, they’ll almost certainly ask what genre it is – possibly what your novel is about. Be sure, before you call, that you can describe the essence of the novel in one, or at the most, two sentences. Don’t force it on them unless they ask but, if you get the opportunity, be ready to sell yourself.

And good luck.

Dee.
    by Sue H at 20:53 on 22 April 2004
    Good point! Nothing worse than coming across as a complete ditherer who doesn't even know what the book is about. Doesn't inspire confidence! And as world expert in dithering and procrastination, I should know!
    Sue
    by Grinder at 08:45 on 23 April 2004
    This is all very daunting, but in a strange way exhilarating as well, maybe that’s because I’m just totally ‘bricking’ myself about the whole thing.

As always, thanks for the advice…

Grinder