Login   Sign Up 

• Hey, can I use song lyrics in a book?
    by Bibi at 00:26 on 23 April 2004
    Okay, so here's the deal. I wrote a book and it's getting published; however, the publisher has let me know I'm fully responsible for all the copyright drama. No sweat, I can deal with that. Every chapter begins with lyrics from different songs. I've looked all over the big bad internet and have found literally nothing except this cool website from across the pond.

Does anyone have any helpful info regarding the lyrics? Is it to much hassle to get permission?

Thanks

Bibi
  • Re: Hey, can I use song lyrics in a book?
    by Account Closed at 07:19 on 23 April 2004
    Hi Bibi,
    This question has already been asked :forum/46_2034.asp?y=1&spage=1#9234

Don't know if that will work, otherwise type lyrics in the search box or look in the ethics forum and you 'll find it.

Elspeth
    by olebut at 07:51 on 23 April 2004
    I suggest you contact the Performing Rights Society PRS they have a web site if the part of the lyric you use is identifiable or obvious.

If it is however just a string of words which also happen to appear in a song no real problem.

I am just in the middle of an investigation into the use of non copywrite music and can teel you that the music industry has just woken up to the loss of income form unauthorised use of music and lyrics so I suggest caution is the better part of valour.

take care

david
    by Sue H at 13:50 on 23 April 2004
    I used to work in music and you really do have to clear the lyrics. If you have them on cd you should have the publishing information there - it will be the one with the songwriter information as you need the publisher not the record label. You shouldn't have any problem at all in clearing the lyrics as long as they are not used in a derogatory way. If you go ahead without clearing them, you could end in trouble. Once something has been published, the copyright owners are in a strong position to sue if they fancy it or at least to get royalties.

Anyway, congratulations on being published and lots and lots of luck!
    Sue
    by Bibi at 15:07 on 23 April 2004
    Thanks to all of you who replied. World of help! And thanks for the heads up...I'm not going to take any chances with this.

Good luck to all of you, too

Y