Login   Sign Up 

Random Read

This 32 message thread spans 3 pages:  < <   1  2  3  > >  
  • Re: First contact
    by Grinder at 12:11 on 29 April 2004
    Adele,

Not quite,

In all three instances yesterday, I got the distinct impression that they don’t want to have to deal with preliminary enquiries over the phone. All of them just said send your cover letter, synopsis, and three chapters to the submissions department, we don’t mind if the letter is not directed at anyone in particular your submission will find the right person.

Which in some ways makes it a little easier (since I hate talking on the phone) but flies in the face of pervious advice and other people’s previous experience.

I’m happy to go down the untitled letter route, in these cases, I was just wondering if anyone had any advice about what would be the most acceptable way to open the letter, Dear . . .

Grinder
    by word`s worth at 13:28 on 29 April 2004
    Grinder,

I've also done like you and called up the agencies that don't indicate a name of a particular agent and I too have had replies of 'just send it to Submissions Department and it'll get passed on to the right person.' Some big agencies employ readers, I think, who go through the slush pile and then pass over what they like. I know that one agency I sent to does that.

In this instance, I start my letters off Dear Sir/Madam, I know it sounds very formal and bleugh, but what can you do when no one is willing to give you a name. I would suggest though, like others have done, that if a name is given in the Writers Handbook then use that name and then they'll pass it on to a colleague if it's not their area.

Good luck with it all!

Nahed
    by Al T at 13:39 on 29 April 2004
    Nahed, I sympathise, the whole process is complete nightmare. Grinder, how about 'Dear Reader'? As in the wonderful line from Jane Eyre, 'Reader, I married him.'

Adele
    by word`s worth at 13:47 on 29 April 2004
    Hey Adele, How are you doing? Have you finished your novel yet? Are we going to get to read a second chapter? I suppose soon you'll be going through it all too! Must say, I haven't submitted anything for a while now - waiting for the bruises to heal. I know I should get back on that 'horse' again, but right at this moment...I can't be *****. Maybe in a few months' time.

That should not discourage Grinder by the way...being rejected is an experience everyone should experience :D and I say that with no bitterness whatsoever!! ;-)

Nahed
    by Grinder at 13:50 on 29 April 2004
    Adele,

Thanks for the suggestion. It’s certainly better than that last one I came up with.

‘Dear Sexbomb’.

Grinder
    by Grinder at 13:53 on 29 April 2004
    Nahed,

Thanks for the input. I’m actually looking forward to my first rejection (crazy man – you cry) I think than I’ll be able to label myself as an unpublished author. I know I’m deluding myself, I’m sure it’s a crushing, life sucking, experience, but it’s going to happen…

Grinder
    by word`s worth at 14:00 on 29 April 2004
    Grinder,

Actually, I felt the same before my first rejection. It was an exciting and nerve wracking time because you're letting your 'baby' loose for someone to scrutinise...I won't deny that the rejection is crushing however, I take heart in these quotes:

We keep going back, stronger, not weaker, because we will not allow rejection to beat us down. It will only strengthen our resolve. To be successful there is no other way. - Earl G. Graves

and

Dear to us are those who love us. . . but dearer are those who reject us as unworthy, for they add another life; they build a heaven before us whereof we had not dreamed, and thereby supply to us new powers out of the recesses of the spirit . . . by - not sure who but will find out!

Nahed :-)

<Added>

Ralph Waldo Emerson
    by Grinder at 14:18 on 29 April 2004
    Nahed,

Nice quotes. I am a firm believer in this old cliché…

“No pain, no gain”

Grinder
    by Al T at 14:20 on 29 April 2004
    Hi Nahed, great quotes, by the way. My personal fave is from Sun Tzu, I think (not sure though): 'that which doesn't kill us makes us stronger.'

I'm afraid City of Dreams is not yet finished, but I'm more than three-quarters of the way through and polishing as I go. I haven't really got back into a routine though since my hols.

As for submitting it, I recently contacted an agent who was at college with one of my friends, but no reply as yet.

Good luck to anyone who is going through the tortuous submissions process. I like to tell myself that rejection is character-forming - onwards!

Adele.

<Added>

P.S. Grinder, Dear Sexbomb is one I hadn't thought of, but I'm not sure I'd want the kind of attention that might ensue!
    by scottwil at 06:58 on 30 April 2004
    Hi Adele,
    What doesn't kill us makes us stronger: Nietze.
    But Sun Tzu has a few good ones also. For Sun Tzu's influence on the game of chess, may I recommend 'Hacek's Triple-tap'? (An utterly shameless plug, by the way)
    Best
    Sion
    by Al T at 08:08 on 30 April 2004
    Hi Sion, thanks for that, it's been niggling at me since I wrote it. One quote that I'm pretty sure is by Sun Tzu, which I was given as advice for future conduct after getting my head kicked in by my last (female) boss is:
    'Keep your friends close, and your enemies closer.'

I'll certainly take a look at your piece. I used to play chess as a kid, and was in the school team when I was 11. Beating boys at the game is the only way I've ever found of making boys cry (at least in my presence). At least two pre-pubescent males started blubbering at the humiliation of losing to a girl - quite astonishing. However, I gave it up when my mother then joined a chess club and started to take it very seriously. But that's another story...

Adele.
    by Grinder at 11:17 on 30 April 2004
    Given the responses received so far from agents I was wondering if this was a suitable opening line for a letter.

Dear Reader,

When I rang to get a contact name for this letter I was reassured that “none was necessary” and “that it would get to the right person”, I hope that means you.

I think writing the synopsis has burnt out my reasoning centre, I can’t tell if this is good or bad.

I would appreciate comments.

Grinder
    by Al T at 11:29 on 30 April 2004
    Hi G, I personally wouldn't put that as there is an implied criticism in there that the agency may not be able to organise a p***-up in a brewery, and that it may be being read by the wrong person. It might put them on the defensive. Better, I think, to launch straight into how wonderful your book and your good self both are.

Must go and do some work now. This has not been a productive week!

Good luck,

Adele.
    by Grinder at 11:44 on 30 April 2004
    Adele,

I think I caught a hint of that myself, and its nice to have it confirmed.
    Thanks for the input.

Grinder
    by Colin-M at 18:57 on 30 April 2004
    Perhaps some of the agents have several readers, and that might be why they can't give you a definite name. I'd stay on the side of formality and let your work do the talking.

Unless you know any good jokes!

Colin M
  • This 32 message thread spans 3 pages:  < <   1  2  3  > >