Login   Sign Up 

Random Read

• Agent - unusual behaviour?
    by MartinM at 18:42 on 28 April 2004
    Hi all.

Today I got a rejection from an agent, who nevertheless suggests a number of published who might be interested in my book.

Should I read anything into this? All the best advice says that authors have next to no chance of getting published if they go to publishers direct, so should I submit to them on the agent's advice? And if I do, am I bound to return to the agent (I suspect the answer is no).

But - is it in my interests to then ask that agent, or another, to represent me? I have no experience of negotiating with publishers.
  • Re: Agent - unusual behaviour?
    by word`s worth at 22:17 on 28 April 2004
    Martin

It is rather unusual for an agent to reject you but in the same breath recommend publishers who might be interested in publishing your work. It may be that the agent can't take on any more writers, but knows publishers who are looking for the sort of story you've written.

I don't see any harm in approaching a publisher (from the agent's list) even mentioning the agent and saying that they recommended them to you, and if the publisher is interested then, I think, the task of getting an agent to represent you is made easier. I personally wouldn't know where to start with negotiations with a publisher and that's why I would find an agent useful. But as I say, once you have the deal, then the agents will see you in a new light.

This is just the opinion of an unpublished, unrepresented writer. There are others more experienced than me who might advise you differently, but I thought I would reply to your query as it seemed to have slipped down the forum.

Nahed
    by Account Closed at 10:26 on 29 April 2004
    Yes, I'd say it was worth a shot. You've got to use every thing available to you in this business, and I think its fair to say you have a recommendation...

Go for it.

James x
    by Al T at 10:48 on 29 April 2004
    Hi Martin, perhaps the agent loves your work, but it's too similar to something already on their list and they don't want to annoy and existing client. Or perhaps it's simply in a genre that they don't represent.

Anyway, if I were you, I'd sent it immediately to the publishers they suggest, mentioning that the agent recommended them. If a publisher, or even several publishers want to take it on, I would then ask them to recommend an agent for you. I can't imagine that an agent recommended in that way would fail to take you on.

I think you should be really encouraged by this response. Best of luck!

Adele.
    by word`s worth at 12:22 on 29 April 2004
    James, I love that kiss at the end of your name
    by Account Closed at 14:21 on 29 April 2004
    Ha ha ha, my middle name is actually Xavier...

Just kidding. It's habit I suppose. J x
    by word`s worth at 14:36 on 29 April 2004
    Oooh Xavier - very nice! ;-)

James, I was only tickling you - I really thought the x at the end was cute - don't break the habit!

Nahed x
    by Account Closed at 20:22 on 29 April 2004
    Ummm...are you flirting with me? Lol!

James x
    by word`s worth at 21:15 on 29 April 2004
    Okay, now James, that really made me laugh. No, I'm not flirting with you. I don't think I'm your type What on earth made you think that??

Nahed (no x in case it's mistook)
    by MartinM at 09:57 on 30 April 2004
    Thank you all for the advice - summing up, I don't have anything to lose, do I? Anyway, it's in the envelope waiting for the rain to stop, and then I'll post it.

Next - changing my name to something with an X in it.

by word`s worth at 10:25 on 30 April 2004
    Absolutely MartinX, you've nothing to lose and everything to gain - so go for it. Good luck to ya!

Nahed
    by Account Closed at 10:46 on 30 April 2004
    Well, Nahed, it never hurts to ask does it? No, seriously, I'm just kidding. Honest, guv

James x
    by word`s worth at 10:59 on 30 April 2004
    Aww...I'm disappointed now. ;-)

Better stop going off the subject...!

Nahed x