Login   Sign Up 

Random Read

This 17 message thread spans 2 pages:  < <   1  2 
  • Re: Would you be put off if you read the work of a publisher and found it to be badly written?
    by Becca at 06:12 on 05 May 2004
    Hi Alice and James, Well if I had a list of people worth trying, they wouldn't be first on my list would they? Put it like that, - they slipped from the top of the list to the bottom.
    Becca.
  • Re: Would you be put off if you read the work of a publisher and found it to be badly written?
    by old friend at 10:23 on 06 May 2004
    Becca,

This question, of course, begs for a definition of 'good' and 'bad' applied to both the books themselves and their publishers.

I know this is a very subjective question but there are quite a few children's books that are very poorly written. It all boils down to sales and profits - with any type of book.

Quite a few of the Autobiographical books on 'famous' people, smell of the ghost writers who pen them as they unfold the 'lives' of the media-hyped subject. Most of these books are neither good nor bad, but they are usually a first-class example of the public relations craft. While the subject of the book remains in the public eye, publishers will fall over themselves to publish that book in the sure knowledge that it will be profitable.

I would advise any writer to submit their work to any publisher, even if they feel that the publisher is responsible for some poorly-written works. It could be that one's own 'less-than-brilliant' work gets published because the publisher does not choose to exercise any judgement on what is good or bad.

On the other hand, your book might well stand out from the normal, poorly-written rubbish that some publishers issue.

Len

• This 17 message thread spans 2 pages:  < <   1  2