Login   Sign Up 

• Submission to agents and publishers
    by Newmark at 21:39 on 05 June 2003
    After nearly a year of writing, I'm approaching the final stages of my first novel, and am starting to think about the next step. I'd appreciate advice from anyone on the following questions.

a. Should I finish before sending out query letters?
    b. Who should I sent to first - agents or publishers?
    c. What format should work be sent out in?
    d. If I send out and get rejections, should I write something else, or revise my existing work?

Sorry for all the questions, but still have one final query. If (and when) I get rejections, is it worth paying an independent third party to give an honest opinion, or not?

I'd be grateful for any help I can get.

Ben

• Re: Submission to agents and publishers
    by Anna Reynolds at 13:36 on 06 June 2003
    Ben

you don't have to have finished your novel before sending it out, but if you do get an agent/publisher interested and they want to see it, you'll have to rush it to get it to them.

format- always send a paper manuscript to publishers/agents and check out what exactly they require- some specify only a letter, some want a synopsis, sample chapters, etc... they all vary, so check them and if necessary ring them to double check. You don't want to put them off or have them not read your work at all because you didn't do your research.

Should you write something else if you get rejections- that's one school of thought, but maybe set yourself a time limit for responses and if you get rejections across the board, then do start something else- it will hone your technique, you'll learn more and get better, it's as simple as that. Plus it gives you something else to focus on rather than obsessing about rejections.

Agent or publisher- equally hard to get really, but depends on whether you want someone to represent you from the outset. If you do get a publisher who wants to take your work, you'll almost inevitably end up with an agent anyway because contracts are tricky territory. Why not start with agents and then see where you get?

Third party- depends on whether or not you think you can be sufficiently detached to view your own work and be blindingly honest about if it's ready to go out into the world. Or try someone you know- not a close friend or family/partner, because they cannot be unbiased and it's awkward if they don't like your work/are critical. Maybe try a colleague or someone whose views you respect, who might be your target audience. Or if you can afford it, pay a reader/editorial service. It depends entirely on how confident you are and how honest you can be about your own writing.

And good luck. Use our directory for all the info, read the interviews with authors and make use of all you can.