Login   Sign Up 

Random Read

• The synopsis as a marketing tool
    by Tybalt at 15:58 on 06 June 2003
    When providing a synopsis of your novel, short story etc, do you regard it purely as a coherent summary of plot (and character outlines) or, as it's one of the very few chances you get to market your work, do you give it more punch. Does anyone have a tried and tested recipe, or know where I could find one?

Second Question: In a covering letter to a publisher/agent, how does the first-time author deal with having no significant writing background? Do you state the fact baldly or stay shtum?
  • Re: The synopsis as a marketing tool
    by tweed at 16:53 on 06 June 2003
    I can only speak from a screenplay point of view where the synopsis appears to have become more of a selling document than anything else and would agree with what you say about, punch, marketing etc whilst at the same time telling your story.
    As far as the Agent thing, honesty is the best policy and besides everyone has to start somewhere. There's no shame in it.
    by Tybalt at 16:57 on 06 June 2003
    Thanks Tweed - 'thought as much. Any good attention getting ideas for the opener?
    by stephanieE at 17:53 on 06 June 2003
    Think about how many submissions scriptreaders have to get through every week - your synopsis needs to make them sit up and pay attention. Too gimmicky however, and you lose the story - that needs to be there too. I was advised that an 8-line cover letter works:
    3 lines describing yourself/ your day job in an entertaining memorable way
    3 lines 'pitching' your piece (a strong encapsulation of the whole thing)
    2 lines 'I'm submitting this... for your consideration and look forward to hearing from you'

Now, I've tried this, but only in a small way (and with a small amount of success to date)but it seems like as good a way as any to start. Don't be afraid if you're not yet published - each occasion is an opportunity to be the first!
    by Beverley Hills at 18:48 on 06 June 2003
    For a look at sample synopsis try http://www.library.trinity.wa.edu.au/subjects/english/writing/synopsis.htm

Another good resource site is http://www.writing.org.uk.

For a look at sample treatments go to http://www.writingtreaments.com

But basically as everyone says, it's a selling tool make it look as exciting as you can and think up a good log line to get them hooked, you know the famous Alien one, ' It's Jaws, but in space.'

As for the letter I agree honesty is the best policy, there's always someone somewhere who'll tumble you eventually.

Good luck!
    by Tybalt at 18:01 on 07 June 2003
    Thanks everybody. I'm grateful for the info and advice.
    by EJ at 13:50 on 04 August 2003
    Just reading through some of these older more interesting discussions and the synopsis is something that really gets me. I must confess that I prefer a shorter more compact synopsis, four or five lines, to something more detailed. I presume agents do to? My theory is that if you can get the point across in one line and do it well why spend ten doing the same thing but more intricate? I also find it easier to write something short and punchy. I let the book or script itself provide the detail.

At the end of the days its all probably hit and miss and dependent on what mood the reader is in. How many of us time it so that their submissions get to these people on a Friday in the hope that they will be in a good mood because of the pending weekend.
    by tweed at 14:36 on 04 August 2003
    Interesting isn't it but in my book (and experience) a four to five line 'synopsis' isn't a synopsis at all but a 'log - line'. I have found that when a synopsis is required people want a little more than just the story line, they want you to sell it to them as well. Oh yes, a 'treatment' is something else.