Login   Sign Up 

Random Read

• Submitting manuscripts in digital format
    by stephanieE at 12:20 on 24 July 2003
    I've been asked to submit my manuscript as hard copy, double-spaced, single-sided, normal sort of spec, and in digital format.

I thought, right, fine, I'll put it on a disc, and then I had a moment of doubt. Should this be a floppy, or a CD (er... haven't got a CD writer so that could be tricky). And how should it be formatted? Word or rtf or pdf even? As a Word file, exactly as hard copy? Or as a much more readable standard 10pt Arial single spaced? And how do I copyright the digital copy? Is it enough to put a copyright mark up front?

Any assistance with this would be much appreciated!

PS I have called the publisher back but they are singularly vague!
  • Re: Submitting manuscripts in digital format
    by Nell at 14:15 on 24 July 2003
    Stephanie, I don't think you have to burn it onto a CD - a floppy disc or a zip should be fine. A Word file or rtf is usually what's asked for, font something like Times New Roman or Ariel - something easily readable. As for copyright in this country your work is copyright anyway, although it doesn't hurt to put the little symbol, your name and the date at the end of the piece.
    by Nell at 14:18 on 24 July 2003
    12pt. is better than 10 - it's what's usually asked for. Single spacing I think - they can always change it, so I'm not sure that matters. I'm just going by what's usually asked for. Hope this helps. And good luck!
    by Nell at 14:22 on 24 July 2003
    I'd go for floppy disc - zip's probably larger capacity than is needed and a lot heavier to send.

David, sorry about the three posts, just me
    with additional thoughts, you may deduct WW points if you like!
    by bluesky3d at 14:50 on 24 July 2003
    I have to admit to being rather reluctant to any requests to submit a complete manuscript in digital format, unless I was sure of exactly where it was subsequently being sent. Am I being paranoid?

Oh and Nell, I wouldn't worry about accumulating points by forgetting to say everything in one go, it is like the wrinkles on one's face they come with wisdom and with age.
    by stephanieE at 15:40 on 24 July 2003
    Thanks Nell and Andrew for your help.

Yes, I was a tad nervous too - but I think the publisher is a reputable one (snorts! as far as can be considering they're publishing erotica!) so I would hope not to have to worry about disc being forwarded on/copied without permission. But am I being naive here? Do I just send my baby off and wait, twiddling my thumbs, until they come back and make me a paltry offer? I don't know the form at all...
    by Account Closed at 16:08 on 24 July 2003
    Isn't "hard-copy" another word for paper?

Burning it onto a CD or saving it on a floppy still means the file is in "soft-copy" format.

Maybe I'm just being too picky...
    by Anna Reynolds at 16:22 on 24 July 2003
    I think you need to ask them how long they usually take to read/respond, so that you can get an idea of when to start chasing/gently hassling. In the meantime, start writing something else, if you aren't already, as it takes your focus off the waiting game. Good luck.
    by Nell at 17:16 on 24 July 2003
    Yes IB, hard copy is paper, but Stephanie said they wanted hard copy AND digital.
    by Account Closed at 18:33 on 24 July 2003
    And that'll teach me to skim read everything...
    by Nell at 19:48 on 24 July 2003
    Sorry, IB, didn't mean to sound like a schoolmarm.