Login   Sign Up 

Random Read

This 22 message thread spans 2 pages:  < <   1  2 
  • Re: How do you find out how many copies a book has sold?
    by helen black at 17:20 on 09 January 2009
    In the first flush of sales I get a weekly email from my publisher telling me exactly how many to the very last book. It's hugely exciting.
    This then tails off and I get the odd email when I reach a milestone figure.
    HB x
    by EmmaD at 18:04 on 09 January 2009
    a weekly email from my publisher telling me exactly how many to the very last book. It's hugely exciting.

Though disheartening when the returns start trundling back, of course...

Emma
    by helen black at 09:05 on 12 January 2009
    Well I only get details of books through the tills Emma, not what's been ordered ( though I'm told ball park figures of advance orders from Smiths, the Supers etc). I'm not sure how it works but I've never had any returns.
    HB x
    by EmmaD at 09:17 on 12 January 2009
    Ah, so you're getting the Nielsen figures, not your publishers' - that makes sense.

Emma
    by helen black at 10:03 on 12 January 2009
    Yes, that's what they say, Emma.
    This weeks Neilsen figures are ...
    Do others not get this?
    HB x
    by EmmaD at 12:19 on 12 January 2009
    Nope. When I asked my editor, she had to go away and look up the figures.

But TBH, I'd really rather not have frequent updates. There's bugger all you can do about it, and I know it would just a) make me panic thinking 'There must be more I can do', or b) make me panic about the WIP, on the grounds of 'how do I do it again like that?' or 'how do I make sure it doesn't happen again like that?' depending on whether they're better or worse this week.

Emma
    by mafunyane at 18:58 on 13 January 2009
    Also figures on their own don't really mean much. It might be more worthwhile asking your publisher how the book is doing. Figures that seem low or high to you may be interpreted differently by the publisher (who hopefully knows the market and how other books are selling) and there may be reasons (like the stage in a sales or ordering period or whether any marketing has been done) that could help interpret the abstract numbers.
  • This 22 message thread spans 2 pages:  < <   1  2