Login   Sign Up 

This 23 message thread spans 2 pages:  < <   1  2 > >  
  • Re: Rejection Blues.
    by fevvers at 10:39 on 02 August 2003
    Hey Gina

Is this the first novel you've sent to an agent? If so you did damn well to get it to the stage you did and to get a personal letter. Very well done! It means you're probably getting closer to publication. Rejection, I'm afraid is part of the writing process that we all have to go through, but it helps us build as writers. Becuse what we're doing is putting a piece of ourselves out there it's painful when it comes back.

One thing I would say though is agents tend to know the markets much better than writers. Why don't you speak to the agent and see if she can clear some points up for you, about the tense inparticular. If you're not satisfied send to another agent, see what other response you get.

Whatever you do keep up the writing.

Cheers
    by Mika Smith at 21:13 on 05 August 2003
    Dear Gina

I'm not sure this will be of use to you. It is a personal perspective. I find good criticism tends to echo what my instinct has been trying to tell me but I have ignored. It sits on my shoulder as I write saying, 'mmm not sure about that bit' and I reply, 'SHUT UP! I'M TRYING TO CONCENTRATE!' If you believe in this agent then listen to her. I totally lost it for a few months this year. A few weeks ago I hacked out 50,000 words from my novel then took a few days off and decided how I was going to move forward. I wrote a new structure and started from the start again. That was difficult but I am much happier now so it was worth it. Yes it is fragging hard writing a novel. I've ruined a career for mine! It is awful changing stuff you've bled to write, but the more you write the better you get. Go back and read something you wrote 2 years ago. If you have eighteen months then maybe a rewrite will pay off. It sounds to me you have the grail within your reach so go get it gurl.
    by tweed at 22:59 on 05 August 2003
    All the above is OK I guess but more than a little cliched I think...
    'Rejection, I'm afraid is part of the writing process that we all have to go through, but it helps us build as writers'.
    Not for me buddy. Each rejection I get chips another little part of me away. I'm down to the bone already.
    'the more you write the better you get'
    Oh yeah!? As I sit here in the twilight of my life watching my chances of success dwindle with time, I can only think that based on your theory, I must have been a pretty crap writer to start with.

I think what I'm saying here is the only thing worth believing in is yourself. Take everything else with a pinch of salt.
    by Mika Smith at 08:09 on 06 August 2003
    So what are you suggesting Gina does then tweed? Gives up? You haven't. What kept you going if its not hope? I think for any writer to stand chance of succeeding, beyond of course their own ability, they need encouragement. Anyway there are many writers who weren't discovered, indeed didn't even start writing until they were getting on a bit so don't give up yet!

by Nell at 08:12 on 06 August 2003
    Tweed, it's just business. You go into a shop - say you're looking for a jacket . You try a few on, nothing's quite right for the occasion. 'I'm sorry,' you say to the shop assistant, 'I like these but I'm not sure, I'm going to carry on looking.' You've just rejected the assistant. Does he/she care? Not a bit of it (unless they're on commission). When you've gone they might slag you off a bit for wasting their time, but they don't take it personally. You've got a product, it has to be right for that publisher, they have to be pretty sure they'll sell lots. The days of the gentleman publisher who took those works he himself enjoyed are over. Publishing is now run by accountants who are not willing to take chances - that's why it's easier to get published if you already have success behind you, if you're famous for something else or if your true story is scandalous enough to interest the masses. Rejection is not a reflection of the quality of your writing. Come to Brighton and we'll cheer you up. We're all in the same boat.
    by tweed at 08:46 on 06 August 2003
    Hi Mika, If you take another look I think I suggest to Gina that she believe in herself which is the same as saying don't give up I think. All I'm saying is (in my opinion) all is not hunky dory and we pick up wounds and battle scars along the way.
    by noddy at 08:56 on 07 August 2003
    Hi Gina,
    Keep sending your current work away, but also start some more writing projects at the same time. As discussed before, it's amazing how therapeutic that is.

Rgds
    Nod
    by ginag at 09:20 on 07 August 2003
    Thanks to everyone for their comments, this is why I joined this community, to discuss things that no-one else I know understands. Everyone has their own way of putting it but the general consensus is 'don't give up' so I'm not. Thank you all.

It's a shame I can't make it to Brighton, I'm there the following weekend for a hen-night though! It would have been good to put some faces to names.

So, I'm still working, doing some revisions and revising my synopsis to send to the next agent on my list.

Enjoy the weather.

Gina.
  • This 23 message thread spans 2 pages:  < <   1  2 > >