Login   Sign Up 

Random Read

This 18 message thread spans 2 pages: 1  2  > >  
  • A nice moment
    by Becca at 20:10 on 05 August 2003
    Dear Rebecca,

'The Careless Hour' is still awaiting consideration. I do apologise for the delay, but I've been very busy with the day job etc. So if you want to send an updated version, I'd be happy to consider that instead.

I see you're a subscriber, so I'll mark it for priority consideration.

All the best,

Trevor
    -----Original Message-----
    From: Jilly (Rebecca) Lloyd [mailtoiled@wd40.fsnet.co.uk]
    Sent: 03 August 2003 11:57
    To: T Denyer
    Subject: A submission enquiry

Dear Trevor Denyer,
    I wonder if you could tell me the status of a slipstream submission sent some time back called 'The Careless Hour'?
    I want to re-work it, with a new dimension and need to know if you want what you have, or would be interested in seeing the new version? I know you're not taking subs at the moment, however you already have the original story. What do you think?

A gentle interaction between publisher and writer, and this thanks to the help I've had about 'The Careless Hour.' Doesn't mean he'll want it, but it could be a 50/50.
  • Re: A nice moment
    by bjlangley at 15:26 on 06 August 2003
    Ah, that is nice.

I don't know about anyone else, but to me it makes such a difference to hear from somebody, rather than automated responses and standard letters.

Good luck with the piece.
    by Account Closed at 16:06 on 06 August 2003
    rough translation:

"err, Careles Hour? Damn, must have loftily tossed that one away with the rotting cabbages and forgotten to send off the rejection template... Umm, want to send it to me again?"

Only joking I'm cruel, but I amuse myself so...
    by Becca at 18:51 on 06 August 2003
    Ben, thanks, I don't actually care much for this guy's magazine, but there you go.
    Insane, possibly, but actually I don't think so. The reason I put it up was for the writers of shorts, you know us little folk? Because what it reveals is how a writer of no power communes with a publisher of no power. He really has a day job, but loves fiction so much he pours his money into it. He's here in England where short fiction is dying. People like him need support as well as writers who put stuff in. A mate of mine in the states is suffering as well keeping her mag together. I didn't mean this to be a lecture, just to say publishers are not all the same and a lot of people have made it as writers because they were supported by publishers who.... blah blah blah, why don't I shut up.
    by Account Closed at 08:54 on 07 August 2003
    No probs Becca. I was just being my usual cynical self. In today's world it's often nice to know that you're getting personal consideration.
    by Becca at 20:08 on 12 August 2003
    Hi Insaaaaane, it's all so very shitty much of the time, but the guy I was telling you about is a writer himself. I'm becoming aware that a lot of the small presses are run by writers, artists, - you know, the people you want to talk to in the pub. I think we should support them and recognise them as 'us'. Their problem is being annihilated by the huge machinery of the big guys. So many of the cool writers came up through the 'small press' especially in the 1950's - 60's in Sci/fi/ slipstream etc. Do you know what 'pulp' means? It was about the paper that small magazines had to use because they had no money, so the paper was rough.
    Now it's become a term that means 'cool' only I'd say 'kool' which is definitely not as cool as 'cool'. I'm not really just writing this to you, I'm using the thread to make a general point. And also I'm coming from the perspective of a committed short story writer. I'll let you know if the man takes the bloody good story I've given him.
    by Account Closed at 15:48 on 13 August 2003
    Did your finger get stuck on the 'a' button Becca?
    by Becca at 20:44 on 13 August 2003
    No, IB, I was just trying to make an echo!
    by Account Closed at 07:54 on 14 August 2003
    Ah, alrighty then!
    by Anna Reynolds at 10:10 on 14 August 2003
    Becca- spot on with your comments on the way that the very small, new publishers, whether paper or e, do tend to be ignored or dismissed by the very writers who could benefit. Look at Canongate- started out tiny, shaky, very recently- now publishing the Book of the Year, Booker, etc- and author support has had a lot to do with their rise and rise. It would be nice to see the big multinationals- that let's face it, do very little if anything to support and nurture new literary talent, short stories etc- have their nose sput out of joint. I dream of the day when the big, power-wielding authors all jump ship together, sinking the multinational boat just a bit.... Dream on.
    by Becca at 19:01 on 14 August 2003
    yup.
    by Becca at 10:07 on 16 August 2003
    Out of this stream of thought I did a bit of research and found a really interesting site, TTA Press and in it 'The Fix', there's a whole world in there that's absolutely fascinating about the small press community and what they are thinking and experiencing with the 'big boys.' Sorry I can't make a link for anyone in this email, I just don't know how that's done. Maybe someone could instruct me? In addition for short story writers of the darker stuff,(maybe less dark stuff as well, I didn't look), Ralan.com gives a list of dead mags and live mags and a lot more.
    by bluesky3d at 11:31 on 16 August 2003
    by Becca at 13:06 on 16 August 2003
    Thanks Andrew, but how do I do that myself, do I just have to type in the thing and it becomes the tool that takes you to the site, or what, duh?
    by bluesky3d at 13:27 on 16 August 2003
    The easiest way is to go to the web page site address, (on the top of your page where it says address on the page you want) and select it by dragging over it so its highlighted, and then copy. Then go to where you want to paste the web link, and paste.

) A

<Added>

but don't get glue on the keyboard ;o)
  • This 18 message thread spans 2 pages: 1  2  > >