Login   Sign Up 

Random Read
NIGHT by JLC

• What me?
    by Becca at 09:31 on 27 August 2003
    I just had a response from Silverlake Publishing which might be of interest. Although they liked the 9 stories I sent them, which by the way only amounted to 65,000 words, they didn't like the mixture of 'Africa' stories and 'thrillers' I sent them, and want only my 'Thrillers.' Do I write thrillers? That's the first time anyone's thought that. Although I know what they mean I wouldn't want my dark stuff classified like that in an anthology.
    Ho hum back to the puter.
  • Re: What me?
    by Nell at 10:16 on 27 August 2003
    I wouldn't call your stories 'thrillers' in the usual sense Becca, although there is a frisson in each, but does it matter? Every story stands alone to be judged by the readers, who'll decide for themselves. As long as they don't publish them with a lurid cover - personally I'd hate that, and it would probably put off the very people you hope will read them. But it's wonderful to have had them accepted - congratulations! And isn't it funnny how nothing in life ever turns out EXACTLY as you'd like?
    by Account Closed at 12:02 on 27 August 2003
    One man's horror is another man's comedy.
    by Becca at 21:02 on 27 August 2003
    IB, true enough. Or one woman's tripe is another woman's dishrag.
    Nell, it's all a bit distant at the moment, but I'll make an effort to stay in touch with them.
    by Jubbly at 10:13 on 28 August 2003
    Congrats Becca, at least that is a positive outcome and at the end of the day, it's all subjective. I've just had an odd experience, I sent the first three chapters of my novel to a big agency and was then asked to send in the rest of the manuscript. A week later I got the call I wanted, a meeting with the head honcho agent. I saw her yesterday and she gushed about my writing and ability to sustain a novel and how pleased she was to meet me, blah, blah but felt the novel I'd written wasn't the right one to ever be published and could I come up with something else. Yes, positive in some respects I know, but after a year of working on the damn thing, I'm just exhausted at the prospect of starting again and fear I'm running out of time. Any words of advice or am I just being a silly cow?
    by olebut at 10:24 on 28 August 2003
    Becca

never under estimate the power of the Stones

your news is a bit like the curate's egg really isnt it

still well done

david
    by Nell at 12:47 on 28 August 2003
    Jubbly - talk about mixed blessings - did she have something definite in mind? I can understand exactly how you feel, maybe you need to rest with the idea for a while and get a commitment up front before you take it on. A lot better than being rejected out of hand though, well done.
    by Jubbly at 12:56 on 28 August 2003
    Hi Nell, thanks for the thoughts. She did say she'd read it through again and maybe send it to an editor for a second opinion, like it was a tumour. Basically she wants me to be commercial and urban and very funny and make lots of money. So I can't complain there, but I feel in limbo. You're right though, I need to step back. Cheers.
    by Becca at 19:43 on 28 August 2003
    Like Nell says, step away for a while, Julie. It's bloody frustrating though isn't it? Maybe if she liked it, and was a big agent, send the first three chaps. out again to 6 more agents, if you can bare it, and then forget it and start writing something else, or leave it all for a while. It's good though, you know, to have got a foot in the door, so congrats!
    by Becca at 19:44 on 28 August 2003
    David, what's a curate's egg mean?
    by Nell at 19:45 on 28 August 2003
    The curate's egg - good in parts.
    by Nell at 20:05 on 28 August 2003
    Jubbly - I've been looking at your profile and you could certainly do modern, funny and urban (if not urbane) with your background experience. Have a rest, mull it over, send out the finished novel again, keep sending it out until it finds the right agent - it must have been damned good to get their attention - then maybe go for it! You'll have to start something new anyway, a writer needs to keep writing, and don't forget there's a gap now where your first novel used to be. It's good to have a few things to submit at a time too - it makes the odds of being accepted seem better somehow.
    by Jubbly at 21:22 on 28 August 2003
    Thank you Becca and Nell for your advice. I do have to let go I fear, but take the best with me. The agent does want to represent me though, so we'll see how it goes. Cheers.