Login   Sign Up 

Random Read

• The deal with this publishing business...!?
    by Ali at 14:21 on 30 August 2003
    Hello people...

There's a local publisher who's kinda intrested in my work and might get to publish my short stories collection. I'm not getting myself too excited yet though! But the thing is I'm clueless when it comes to the publishing business. I mean, should I expect them to pay me something, anything, before the actual publishing of my book? And if so, how much would we be looking at, as a minimum, for a first time writer? What about royalities?
    I don't know. I was just wondering and would like to at least have a rough idea about the whole thing before anything starts to materlise. Any help would be appriciated.

Thank you.
    Ali
  • Re: The deal with this publishing business...!?
    by Nell at 11:01 on 31 August 2003
    A first time author with a small publisher will be lucky to get an advance at all - usually the agreement is for royalties - about 10% excluding the books sent out for reviews, promotion etc.

Big names with large publishing houses will get more of course, and huge advances in expectation of massive sales. Don't forget though that an advance is exactly that and will come off the royalty payments, although hopefully it will encourage the publisher to actively promote the book in order to recoup his outlay.

There are quite a few good information books which will tell you all you need to know about agreements, contracts etc - An Author's Guide to Publishing by Michael Legat is one, recently revised and full of useful stuff.
    by ChrisCharlton at 12:37 on 16 September 2003
    Please help another ignorant person... is that 10% of net price (i.e. the £6.99 I pay for a paperback), or 10% of the price after costs (production, marketting etc., therefore I would guess 10% of £5 or less).

Is it the same for paperbacks as well as hardback?

Is the percent different for 1st against established authors (i.e. later on do you when you're famous do you negotiate a bigger cut?)

Seems a good case for POD if you can get away with the marketing!

Thanks

Chris
    by Nell at 14:06 on 16 September 2003
    I understand that royalties are usually 10% of the retail price - if you're offered any more be very suspicious - you might be dealing with a subsidy publisher. Read the small print!

Michael Legat says that hardback royalties are 10% of the British published price on the first 2,500 copies, 12.5% on the next 2,500 copies, and 15% thereafter except on works for children when they will be 7.5% rising to 10% after 3,000 copies. Theres lots more info about overseas royalties too, also bulk sales etc. when they are less. Most publishers don't pay royalties on the first 100 books sent out for review etc. Then there's the question of returns - it's quite involved.

If a paperback edition is published under the publisher's own imprint it's apparently 7.5% on the first 40,000 copies then 10% thereafter.

Whew!

I'd imagine that the J.K. Rowlings of this world might be able to negotiate a bigger cut, but that's just guesswork.