Login   Sign Up 

Random Read

This 24 message thread spans 2 pages:  < <   1  2 > >  
  • Re: Anyone tried these publishers?
    by NMott at 23:09 on 08 June 2010
    I send out batches of 8-10 once a week for 3-4 weeks until I've reached the end of my list of agents.
    by Franci at 23:25 on 08 June 2010
    Crumbs! I'd better get busy! I have already bashed the fantasy off to five publishers and two agents, but I think I'll really go to town on finding more suitable agents. As everyone seems to say, it'll take years if I only do a couple at a time. Your comments have been a kick up the b*m that I really needed.

Thanks everyone!!!

Franci
    xxx
    by RT104 at 06:04 on 09 June 2010
    Franci, I just wanted to add my voice to the multiple submissions thing. I sent mine out in batches of a half dozen or so at a time, doing another bath every week or two weeks, as the rejections came in. Doing it that way enables you to tweak your submission in the light of comments received - but always to feel you have some submissions 'out there'. And meanwhile I got in with the next book - partly to soften the psychological blow of all the (inevitable) rejections. It meant I could kid myself into thinking, 'Oh, that old thing...!'

I'm sure you have done this, but a good way to select agents (apart from the genres they say they represent, on their websites as well as in the WAAYB) is to find out who represents the authors you admire in your field, and approach them first. Authors often include their agent in their acknowledgments, which is a good source - or try querytracker or similar sites which tell you who represents whom.

http://querytracker.net/clients.php?g=T

(By the way, not sure I said - welcome to WW!)

Rosy x

by NMott at 08:17 on 09 June 2010
    five publishers and two agents

It's best to send it to agents first, before approaching publishers direct. An agent doesn't like pitching an mss to publishers who've already seen and rejected it.

- NaomiM
    by Franci at 08:29 on 09 June 2010
    Thanks Rosy

I sent first submissions out in April, so I think it's time to do some more. I won't leave as big a gap next time.

A good idea about looking at other authors and their agents. I have one very big stumbling block with regard to any research. I live in France and only get to an English bookshop about once a year when I come back to the UK for a visit. I'm completely limited to the internet otherwise. I am however coming back next week, so will head for Waterstones in Oxford and spend a few hours there.

Agree a hundred percent with you on getting on with the next book. I have a great sequel all planned out and have started it. Must keep believing!

Franci
    x
    by EmmaD at 10:47 on 10 June 2010
    Franci, many writers have their agent listed as a contact on their website. Or just google

"favourite author" +agent

and you may well get to it by one route or another.

Emma
    by Franci at 13:33 on 10 June 2010
    Hi Emma

Only one minor problem with that theory as far as I'm concerned, and that is that I don't know any authors who write fantasy (as my novel is) for teens or young adults - or adults who are big kids. My own bookshelf is full of crime and thrillers. It really is a problem when you can't get to an English bookshop to check things out. I do try and check out fantasy on Amazon, but it's not as easy. My knowledge of the book market is very poor, which really doesn't help me. At the moment I'm trawling the writer's handbooks, and the internet for anyone who accepts fantasy. I spent all day at the computer yesterday, I think my eyes are going square!

Thanks for your thoughts.

Franci
    by Astrea at 15:50 on 10 June 2010

Hi

Not to butt in again, but I would have thought there's quite a reasonable market currently for YA fantasy-type novels, judging by the success of things like 'Twlight' (no offence intended ), the 'Percy Jackson' series and the like?

Maybe try investigating along these lines? Just a thought.

by Franci at 16:13 on 10 June 2010

Thanks Astrea - will do. Absolutely any thoughts or suggestions are welcome at this point!

Franci
  • This 24 message thread spans 2 pages:  < <   1  2 > >