Login   Sign Up 

Random Read

This 28 message thread spans 2 pages:  < <   1  2 > >  
  • Re: What constitutes `psychological` fiction?
    by EmmaH at 14:26 on 25 April 2013
    Caroline, have you thought of writing one yourself? An adult psychological thriller?
    by wordsmithereen at 15:29 on 25 April 2013
    Not a genre I read but the term 'psychological thriller' conjures for me a story in which a character's head is messed with: Gaslight

Psychological fiction conjures nothing for me except, perhaps, the possibility that it goes into a character's head, but that covers a lot of ground. Maybe the term describes fiction that messes with the reader's head?
    by CarolineSG at 17:19 on 25 April 2013
    Emma, adult fiction doesn't appeal as a project at the moment, but it's where I'm aiming some YA stuff...

Wordsmithereen, I really like that definition!
    by EmmaD at 18:17 on 25 April 2013
    Maybe the term describes fiction that messes with the reader's head?

Yes, that sounds very likely - we're sufficiently involved with the MS emotionally that we're deceived by the same stuff she's deceived by...
    by debac at 10:08 on 26 April 2013
    I guess both the term "psychological thriller" and "psychological fiction" (which doesn't seem as common a label as the former) are shorthand for psychologically ambiguous thriller or fiction. Then it makes more sense, IMO.

As someone else said, "psychological fiction" doesn't really say much, since most/much fiction involves the psychology of the characters.
    by CarolineSG at 10:12 on 26 April 2013
    To be honest, I think the much more important point is that publishers are wildly bandying the term around whatever the specific meaning. If they think they can stick that label on a book right now, they will.
    by Catkin at 11:23 on 26 April 2013
    I've always thought 'psychological thriller' meant 'quite dark and disturbing, but with not all that much violence except perhaps towards the end, and certainly no car-chases or explosions' . Or, to be more concise, "mystery, but no explosions" .
    by CarolineSG at 15:01 on 29 April 2013
    If there was anyone I hadn;t got back to re this, can you remind me? Think I've replied to them that wanted further info now but thought I;d better check
    by Jem at 18:17 on 29 April 2013
    I love psychological thrillers and am usually massively disappointed by the ones that nowadays get marketed as such. I think about writers such as Barbara Vine/Ruth Rendall and Patricia Highsmith when I think about writers of PT but often nowadays you get over manipulated plots and not enough deep insight into the 'messer' and the 'messee', so to speak.
    by Jaytee Conner at 19:00 on 03 May 2013
    I would love further info on what constitutes 'psychological' fiction but don't tell me about thrillers.
    I'm interested in the psychology from the point of view of being immersed in someone's mind fiction.
    Is that what they mean?
    I've just written a psychological novel aimed at the women's market but it's NOT a thriller with a mystery, a car chase etc etc.

What is this term? Exactly.
    by Jaytee Conner at 19:02 on 03 May 2013
    PS I was told by industry insider that I've written women's psychology fiction.
    After I wailed, threw my hands up in air (metaphorically) and said 'what am I writing here exactly'. I didn't know but she told me my genre.
    Now I don't understand what that means exactly and would very much like to.
    by CarolineSG at 09:09 on 04 May 2013
    Jaytee, have a read back through the thread as does explore it a bit here but the modern trend I'm seeing is towards books with a female protagonist in a normal domestic setting (often a mother) who becomes embroiled in some sort of dark secret or danger. There's usually someone out to hurt/control her and it might not always be the person you think.
    Check out these books and it might also help you to see where yours might fit:

Cuckoo by Julia Crouch (and her others)
    Into the Darkest Corner by Elizabeth Haynes (and Revenge of the Tides)
    Before I go to Sleep by SJ Watson

Oh and Rosamund Lupton's books.

Those are the kind of thing publishers are desperate for right now. Good luck with yours!
    by Jaytee Conner at 13:43 on 04 May 2013
    Thanks for replying. I think I'm getting it though I don't have a crime or thriller element to my story. I do have a control element.

Very hard to work out what one is writing but encouraging to hear it might be a hot trend.
    Will check out the books you suggestted.
  • This 28 message thread spans 2 pages:  < <   1  2 > >