Login   Sign Up 

This 45 message thread spans 3 pages: 1  2   3  > >  
  • Anyone submitted to Curtis Brown`s online system?
    by Pen and Ink at 18:33 on 01 May 2013
    If so, did you get an acknowledgement email? And how long did it take to get a yay or nay to your ms?
    I think I'm being impatient as I've only been waiting seven weeks, but I'm curious to know if this process actually works.
  • Re: Anyone submitted to Curtis Brown`s online system?
    by Jaytee Conner at 18:53 on 01 May 2013
    I submitted in December and am still waiting for a reply.
    by Pen and Ink at 18:58 on 01 May 2013
    That's an awfully long time. I'm thinking of following up after eight weeks, have you contacted them? It might have got lost.
    by Jaytee Conner at 19:10 on 01 May 2013
    No I haven't.
    Maybe it's better that it did get lost.
    I think I submitted too soon. It needed re-editing and the synopsis could have been better.
    However, it made me more depressed than being turned down by the other two agents I approached.
    It feels like Curtis Brown is huge, are trying to be interactively digital but not being interactive at all.
    I'm assuming they have rejected me but being silent.
    by Pen and Ink at 19:20 on 01 May 2013
    Well, that is depressing. I know what you mean by submitting too early though. I've done that myself before now.
    I hate not having a response, especially when they say they do reply to every submission and on their website they say they respond within 8 weeks, so I'll follow up next week. Like you, I'd rather a 'no' than nothing at all.
    by Jaytee Conner at 20:47 on 01 May 2013
    It seems rude and lax especially after all their claims about submission.
    On the other hand, I'm grateful if I'm still below the radar. I can hopefully submit again at a later date without baggage.

good luck
    by Shika at 07:38 on 02 May 2013
    Hi, I found them to be very efficient. I subbed and got a request for a full within 10 days and then a detailed rejection with useful feedback in another 3 weeks. Hope this helps. S
    by Jaytee Conner at 08:01 on 02 May 2013
    If they wanted a full mss from you the obviously thought you were worth the bother.
    I suspect my own submission didn't meet with the same approval.
    or perhaps it really did get lost in the system.
    Oh dear now I'm wondering if I should chase them.
    by Pen and Ink at 09:08 on 02 May 2013
    Thanks Shika - that's great to have found it so useful and to get feedback too. Well done. They must have liked it. I'm thinking mine's a rejection and that's why I haven't heard. I always think it's worth following up because it's the not knowing I can't stand.
    @Jaytee - Might be worth a follow up, perhaps asking if you should resubmit. Then you could give them the revised version?
    by JS at 18:00 on 08 May 2013
    I recently submitted. Anymore feedback regarding the process? Has anyone else submitted before?
    by EmmaD at 12:25 on 13 May 2013
    If the system says that it will acknowledge you, then it's fair enough to follow it up if you don't get an acknowledgement.
    by Pen and Ink at 13:07 on 13 May 2013
    I sent them an email and they haven't responded to that either.
    by Account Closed at 13:26 on 13 May 2013
    Let us know the outcome when they do! Good luck.
    by Jaytee Conner at 14:27 on 13 May 2013
    OK. I emailed the agent directly because I had waited 6 months.
    And they replied within a week forwarding my rejection which was what I was expecting.
    They reckoned it might have gone into my spam box which seems likely. And of course to make things worse my old email was hacked and I haven't been able to access it for over 6 weeks. Hence I have started to use a pseudonym on line because the amount of hacking and identity theft is on the increase.

But... (I'm over the rejection by the way, it wasn't ready so no harm done)
    But... for the future I will only submit now to agents who accept email submissions.

Here is why. Some day they will want my book. .When they do I want a forward thinking modern 'look into the future' kind of an agent not terrified of the internet.

Those agents only taking paper submissions may be modern blah blah blah but they don't feel that way.

I want an agent who will sell film rights, tv rights, be comfortable with ebooks someone who is proactive not trapped in the past.

I love books. I don't even own a kindle. I still buy real books but the world is changing.
    by Pen and Ink at 14:43 on 13 May 2013
    Oh, well done for following up. Was it the agent's direct email you used or the submissions email provided on the Curtis Brown Creative website?
  • This 45 message thread spans 3 pages: 1  2   3  > >