Login   Sign Up 

Random Read

• "Waterstones can live with Amazon and stem losses," says James Daunt
    by EmmaD at 14:48 on 05 October 2013
    The feelgood factor has returned to the high-street chain, but is stocking the Kindle like inviting a fox into the henhouse?

http://www.theguardian.com/books/2013/oct/04/waterstones-kindle-amazon-losses
  • Re:
    by Account Closed at 18:28 on 05 October 2013
    An interesting article, thank you.

It is strange how the villain turned into the under-dog. I can't remember thinking about them in quite the same way I do about Tesco, but I'm sure the indie bookshop owners felt that way.

When I watched 'You've Got Mail' recently, I thought about Waterstones, Borders and all the other large chains and it occurred to me that in the real world Fox's bookshop may have gone the same way at the poor little 'corner book shop'.

It is true about not wanting to see Waterstones go. I make sure I buy my books from them and not the cheaper options from Tesco and I also take care to try to buy paper copies as often as possible, rather than the simpler purchasing through Amazon. But then I want to see my book in Waterstones one day.

Edited by Sharley at 18:28:00 on 05 October 2013
  • Re:
    by Bunbry at 18:53 on 07 October 2013
    I wouldn't fancy buying shares in Waterstones. I'm really not sure how they survive.

We still have a milkman come down our street too and I don't know how he stays in business. I've not used one for about 15 years.

Nick