Login   Sign Up 

Random Read

This 39 message thread spans 3 pages: 1  2   3  > >  
  • Query letters
    by Dee at 15:11 on 17 November 2003
    I've just been responding to a thread about agents and it made me wonder whether we should help each other with query letters to agents and publishers. They are SO important. They are the first impression an agent or publisher will get and could make the difference between them reading your submission or not.
    What do others feel about this?
    Dee.
  • Re: Query letters
    by steve at 15:52 on 17 November 2003
    This is a good idea, after all, we have the same objective. Do you suggest uploading examples, and compare that way, or paste and copy into a text box like this?

Steve
    by Dee at 16:01 on 17 November 2003
    Dunno, Steve. It was just something that occurred to me. Maybe one of the Site Experts could steer us?
    Dee.
    by Anna Reynolds at 16:25 on 17 November 2003
    Well, one idea is to ask Katie, from Elspeth Cochrane, what appeals or doesn't appeal to her in an initial letter- although she does cover this in her thread here in the forum. I'm just about to run an interview with another agent, so I'll be sure to ask for some definite pointers there. Also, if anyone already has an agent, and they can share some info from their (obviously successful) approach, that'd be good... I was introduced to my agent through another contact, so I can't be much help with 'cold calling', but let's spread the word. It is a good idea. Dee, how about giving us a snippet of the original approach you made yourself, since you're newly agent-ed? (is that a word?)
    by Account Closed at 16:53 on 17 November 2003
    You could always upload a letter as a piece of work, and post a notice about it in the Getting Published forum asking for feedback.

<Added>

err, as steve in fact mentioned earlier that is...
    by Dee at 16:54 on 17 November 2003
    Anna, that's a good idea to ask Katie. Hope she's willing to help.
    To set the ball rolling, here's the letter I sent to my agent (actually I emailed him but most agents seem to prefer snail-mail). I have to say, though, that he rejected PAYING FOR THE GALLERY but I persisted and asked him to read another one. Which he did. And you know the rest...
    Perhaps I should also add: whatever you say in a query letter, you'd better be prepared to follow through. Don't waffle that you've written a six volume saga if all you've got is a few ideas on a fag packet!

Here goes:-

Dear......

I'm attaching a synopsis and the first two chapters of one of my finished romance novels. It's just over 100,000 words, is set in the Yorkshire Dales and the Isle of Man and is written entirely from the point of view of Philly, the main female character.

I have one other finished romance and I would be happy to send you a sample of that if you'd like to see it.

I have two others about 70% written and plans for at least four others.

I have had two short stories accepted for publication and some have been recorded for a small local radio station but it is in full length novels where my heart lies. I am hungry to get published. I want to walk into a shop and see books with my name on their covers. I will do anything, accept any advice or constructive criticism, completely re-write if necessary, to achieve this.

Yours..........

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hope this helps,
    Dee.
    by Anna Reynolds at 23:20 on 17 November 2003
    Dee, that's really helpful for people I think. You've made an approach to an agent that has had a successful outcome, so we should all lusten and take note. I did a trawl of the top agencies today- the big hitters- and spoke to a few writers who are represented by them, and they all emphasised the power of a brief, autobiographical letter- not, repeat not, saying, 'everyone says that I have had a really interesting life', but drawing attention to anything that is unusual or relevant in a snappy way and mentioning, as you have, that you've had stories published, radio, etc, anything that has some legitimate profile that the agent can read as shorthand for 'has promise.'
    by Jumbo at 00:33 on 18 November 2003
    Dee, Can I also add that this is really helpful.
    I take it, from what has been said, that this is a 'cold-calling' type letter, (Anna's expression, I think).
    Would I be right in supposing that the chapters that you submit would be double spaced, single sided with the some form of title sheet?
    And would you double space the synopsis? [I followed a recent thread in the Forum on writing a synopsis. Again I found it contained some really useful advice.]
    Regards
    John
    by Elspeth at 11:51 on 18 November 2003
    Hi there. Just got back from a few days away and very flattered that you think I can help with this particlular dilemma.
    As Anna mentioned, I talked about query letters a little in the interview I did for the website, but if anyone has any specific questions, I'll do my best to help.
    As for general pointers, Anna's right that you shouldn't cite the opinions of friends or family, but by all means mention any relevant experience that will give you additional credibility.
    Having been away for three days I returned to find a mountain of post in the office. Most of these were submissions, and I've glanced at about thirty letters one after the other, so I think it's worth trying to make your letter stand out a little. I always notice the letters that are original rather than 'identikit'. But of course, as long as you're including all the necessary info, a simple and direct letter like Dee's is great and avoids the pitfalls of going off on a tangent about your advertising business or your villa in southern Spain.
    It's also worth calling up to get the name of someone to send it to. I get a bit annoyed with letters to Elspeth that begin 'Dear Sir'.
    Check what sort of material each agency deals with and perhaps briefly mention why you're approaching them. Lots of people simply say they found us in The Writers Handbook, and that's fine. You could also mention if you've sent out fifty letters, or if you're going for the one at a time approach.
    I find the letter does reveal more than you might think. You wouldn't believe how many people have typos and poor phrasing in their letter, which of course, doesn't inspire much confidence in the rest of their writing.
    And yes John, all chapters should be double spaced. With the synopsis it depends how long it is, but double spacing does make things easier to read.
    Anyway, I could waffle on in this vein all day, so I'll leave it there for now. But I do still have a soft spot for the letter that began 'Dear Literary Yoda'......
    by Anna Reynolds at 12:54 on 18 November 2003
    Thanks Katie- some fantastic advice straight from the agent's mouth there, we couldn't ask for more precise and helpful info.
    by Dee at 14:54 on 18 November 2003
    John, I sent this type of letter to agents whose entry in WAYB specified that they would accept sample chapters at the first approach. Otherwise I would send just a letter, adapted to suit. And I always addressed the letter to a name.
    Don't even think about submitting chapters in single spacing - it's a waste of time, paper and postage. Some agents accept the synopsis single spaced. I tend to 1.5 space it so it's easy to read but takes less pages.
    Dee.
    by Elspeth at 15:40 on 18 November 2003
    I've just this minute opened a truly terrible letter from a writer, who will of course, remain nameless. But as an example of what not to do, it's a classic.

It opens: "I should be most grateful if you would kindly take me on as a client to assist me in getting the above-named novel I have written, placed with a publisher. So far, unfortunately, I have not had any success in placing it with any publisher"

It continues: "Whilst I am primarily interested in placing the above-named novel first, I also have a few other novels I have written for which in due course I shall be pleased to have your kind assistance in placing with publishers.
    I look forward to your favourable reply"

You see what I mean?! Don't tell me how unsuccessful you've been so far! Although I'm sure no one on this website would arrange a sentence in quite such a haphazard manner! And name the novel if you refer to it; highlight it, underline it, italicise it, but make me notice it.

Maybe I should suggest a new programme for the BBC - "What Not To Write".

In the meantime, I'm afraid I'm off to write another rejection letter.
    by Dee at 18:13 on 18 November 2003
    Dear Agent,
    I stuck a pin into an old copy of WAYB - which I borrowed from the library as it's not worth paying £15 for a new one just to get an agent - and you are the lucky selection.

Dear Agent,
    I've tried everyone else and you are the last name on my list so, if you don't take me on, a great talent will be lost to the world.

Dear Agent,
    I hope you will be bright enough to recognise a great oportunity when you are handed it on a plate.

We could start a new game...
    Dee.
    by Anna Reynolds at 22:57 on 18 November 2003
    Dee, what's worrying is that I'm sure some writers will have used these approaches, or variations on a theme... Please reassure me that they are not (yet) real.
    by Elspeth at 10:43 on 19 November 2003
    Anna, I can tell you that I've received option three from Dee's list on a fairly regular basis, and option two has cropped up a few times as well.
    Needless to say, it's not always the most successful approach to take!
    Katie
  • This 39 message thread spans 3 pages: 1  2   3  > >