Login   Sign Up 

Random Read

This 39 message thread spans 3 pages:  < <   1  2  3  > >  
  • Re: Query letters
    by Elspeth at 11:46 on 19 November 2003
    On a more optimistic note, thought I'd tell you about the query letter I just opened - from a thirteen year old girl, who's written a story about the war between red and grey squirrels.
    Good for her for starting early. Her letter's very good too...
    Katie
    by Dee at 18:40 on 19 November 2003
    EEK!
    No Anna, I am heartily pleased to say that I never sent one of those... but, as Katie says, someone has.
    Katie, you have got to tell us what happened with the thirteen-year-old girl. Initiative like that needs to be nurtured. Where is she? I want to adopt her! My god, when I was that age, my English teacher told me I had a talent for writing but I wasn't interested and she didn't pursue it. It's taken me 40 years to complete the circle.
    Dee.
    by Anna Reynolds at 23:31 on 19 November 2003
    Dee, I didn't think you'd have sent one of those, don't be daft, but I was hoping they weren't letters you'd heard of.. but as Katie says, sadly, it happens. I hope we hear more about the grey and red squirrels, too.
    by Sparrow_splitter at 00:04 on 20 November 2003
    Red and grey squirrels at war, that's the best idea I've ever heard. I bet it started with the grey squirrels stealing the red squirrels nuts, then throwing them in the river saying 'don't even want them, look, don't even want them' over and over again.
    by steve at 09:10 on 20 November 2003
    Elspeth,

I think it's great that you can give so much time on this site; having a live agent to converse with helps immensely, and it shows that there are people on the end of an A4 envelope plastered with stamps

Steve
    by Elspeth at 10:38 on 20 November 2003
    Thanks Steve, that's a lovely thing to say. Actually I really enjoy this site; it works both ways - it reminds me there are real people on the other side of all the envelopes too.

As for the 13 yr old author, I haven't got around to reading her sample chapters yet, but apparantly it's her first novel and she's working on her second.
    The only problem is that we don't represent children's fiction! Still, it sounds like a marketing execs' dream so we'll see what happens to the Squirrels of Highland National Park. I think it's fantastic that she's starting now.

Oh and Dee, if you want to adopt this rising literary star then you should know she wants her own horse and would prefer to live on a farm.

Katie
    by Anna Reynolds at 15:39 on 20 November 2003
    If she's successful, I should think she can have a whole stable full. Good luck to her for being so precocious.
    by Dee at 18:29 on 20 November 2003
    katie, if she earns enough from the squirrel war to buy her own horse and farm, I'll muck in with her... or should that be muck out? But it would have to be an organic far that doesn't abuse animals.
    On a more serious note - if it wouldn't be breaking a confidence, I would love to hear how you deal with this literary bud. OK, you don't handle that type of fiction and, at her age, it's unlikely to be commercial (forgive me if I'm making ageist assumptions here - I have little contact with children) but she deserves lots of encouragement to keep her going.
    Cheers
    Dee.

<Added>

Sorry about the lower case k Katie!
    Dee.
    by steve at 23:19 on 20 November 2003
    It could be a success in the future, look at Duncton Wood with the moles.

Steve
    by Elspeth at 11:46 on 21 November 2003
    Dee - no offence taken at the lack of capitals!
    As I said, I still haven't read the chapters properly, but realistically, they probably won't be quite right for publication yet (although her age is a fantastic sales pitch).
    But I'll keep an open mind till I've read it through. I suppose my approach will be an encouraging letter, telling her to keep going and I'll try to give her some pointers on the script if there's something I notice when reading it.
    You're right about Duncton Wood, Steve. I used to read endless animal adventures as a child. I loved the Brian Jaques series, The Deptford Mice trilogy and Aaron Clements' Cold Moons was the first book that ever made me cry. (I was about 10 and since then only one other book reduced me to tears - The Amber Spyglass). So there's a big market for Squirrels I'm sure!
    I'll probably have a look around and recommend some children's fiction agents she could approach - like I said, it's not a genre we tend to get involved with.
    If anyone has any other thoughts they'd like to share with the up and coming generation, let me know and perhaps I can pass on some words of wisdom!

Katie
    by Elspeth at 14:13 on 24 November 2003
    Just had to share this with you, particularly as it came from a fellow WW member. As they didn't mention their username, your guess is as good as mine.

"So I'm looking for an honest, skilled, funny and lively agent with extensive industry contacts here and overseas so as to quickly develop a mutually appreciative relationship of sufficient financial benefit to cover the cost of keeping my cat in the style to which it has become accustomed."

Love it!
    (Although that may say more about my sense of humour than how to write the perfect query letter)
    Katie
    by Anna Reynolds at 15:03 on 24 November 2003
    That's adorable. Also, interesting to think about the fact that it's a two-way relationship, and both parties have certain expectations. Often I think writers are polarised- either feeling so incredibly lucky and grateful if they get agent interest, or coming across as arrogant and wanting to make it clear who's really the lucky one. Of course, if you weren't a cat-lover, this might read differently..
    by Elspeth at 15:27 on 24 November 2003
    Interesting actually that quite a few letters mention the writer's expectations like the example I quoted above. But the joke about the cat makes it work and stops him from sounding as though he's taking himself too seriously.
    I think writers should have expectations of their agent, but, as you say Anna, it all goes back to that balance between selling yourself confidently and sounding as though you're god's gift to literature.
    (And the funny thing is I don't even like cats)
    Katie
    by steve at 15:45 on 24 November 2003
    I woke up one night feeling hot, only to find my cat sitting on my head. When I tried to move, the little furry sod, bit my nose. So for about ten minutes I lay in fear, but gradually got the courage to move, and again the little bugger bit me on the nose. For the rest of the night I slept stiff, frightened to move and inch, feeling like some cossack, who wears a big fluffy hat! (without the ear pieces I add).

Steve

PS could have been worse if it was a squirrel
    by Dee at 16:05 on 24 November 2003
    Steve, that reminds me of the time when my sister was staying with me overnight and, at around three in the morning, my two kittens had a fight on her face.
    Don't see much of her these days...
    Dee
    8))

• This 39 message thread spans 3 pages:  < <   1  2  3  > >