Login   Sign Up 

Random Read

• Simon Trewin
    by geoffmorris at 21:58 on 24 November 2003
    Greetings all,

Just wondered if anyone had any feedback from Simon Trewin. He left a cryptic note on my piece so I sent him a sample and he sent me another cryptic, slightly positive rejection.

I took heart in the fact that it contained many mispellings so it was just a generic template. I only ask as someone I met recently said he's notorious for being cryptic and unhelpful.

Before, this post gets pulled I'd like to say I'm not having a pop at him. At the end of the day I see it as his loss not mine. There are plenty of agents about but only one me!

Anyhew let me know

Geoff
  • Re: Simon Trewin
    by Jubbly at 22:13 on 24 November 2003
    Geoff, I had a positive experience with Simon. He didn't take me on, but he was very encouraging and did spend the time to read my whole novel, which was evident in his letter. So I wouldn't worry too much. Perhaps he had someone too similar to you, who knows. But don't give up.

Best Julie
    by geoffmorris at 22:21 on 24 November 2003
    Hey Julie,

Didn't mean to sound negative or anything. I'm just the kind of person who likes to take things to the nth degree. So I'm always wondering what if, why etc. It just bugs the hell out of me that he didn't explain his comment on my first uploaded piece. Check it out. Anyone?

Geoff
    by old friend at 07:55 on 25 November 2003
    Geoff,
    May I suggest that the Writers Forum is not the place to ask such questions. These need to be directed to the person and not made public, particularly as it is one of adverse criticism.
    Regards, Len
    by Jubbly at 08:12 on 25 November 2003
    I agree with Len Geoff. Besides Simon and other agents are very busy and I would imagine don't like being pushed into giving detailed crits when they have their own clients to deal with. I get the feeling, Simon can be quite crytic with his responses but if you really read between the lines you will probably get what he means.

Good luck

Julie
    by Jubbly at 08:18 on 25 November 2003
    Geoff, re you first uploaded piece. I know that's kind of an annoying comment but in some ways it's very complimentary. He is saying that deep down you know what to do. From my experience and that of my best mate whose second novel will be published in January we always think that- if you're reading your own work and you always get bored around the same part, then that is a sure sign that something is not working in that area. She and I have worked together as collaboraters for the past 15 years and we always apply this method and more often than not it works.

Give it a go, but be honest with yourself

Best Julie
    by geoffmorris at 18:20 on 26 November 2003
    Len, Jubbly,

I take your point. I really didn't mean for it come come across the way it seems to have been read. I have absolutely nothing against the guy and wasn't having a go.

Perhaps in retrospect I shouldn't have posted it but I was totally honestly curious. But looking at it objectively posting something like that for everyone to read is not the best thing to do.

The whole thing about mispelling was a negative comment, it simply showed me that it wasn't a generic template letter that gets sent out time and time again.

Simon if you read this please don't take any offence at the first posting.

<Added>

was a negative comment should read wasn't a negative
    by EmiliaDG at 14:36 on 27 November 2003
    I'd feel really pleased that Simon commented if I was you - he is a fantastic agent and really knows his stuff. I think he genuinely wanted to know which half best reflects the book as a whole and I don't think that is a cryptic comment, more an honest question.