Login   Sign Up 

Random Read

• Rejections (again)
    by Sue H at 10:24 on 04 December 2003
    I have just received a rejection letter which says:

Unfortunately our children/young adult's list is closed for the time being due to an overwhelming workload. We will not be accepting children/young adult's scripts until sometime after Christmas. You can contact us by telephone to check if our list has reopened.
    Thank you for considering XXX - we wish you luck in your search for an agent.

Now does this mean that they didn't read my submission? Should I try again after Christmas or are they just being polite?

Sue
  • Re: Rejections (again)
    by Account Closed at 10:39 on 04 December 2003
    I would say that means it wasn't read, but not because they decided to randomly dismiss your work.

Try again after Christmas I say.
    by Sue H at 10:44 on 04 December 2003
    Oh good! That means I have time to re-write then!
    Thanks.
    Sue
    by Dee at 19:06 on 04 December 2003
    Sue, you don't say if this is an agent or a publisher but, whichever it is, believe this: no, they are not just being polite!
    Both agents and publishers are sinking under the weight of their slush piles. They would not invite you to contact them again after xmas if they didn't mean it. Wait until January 2nd, ring them, wish them happy new year and remind them that they asked you to contact them after xmas.
    Spend the intervening time making sure your work is polished until it gleams and take their offer to contact them again in a very positive light.

Good luck,
    Dee.
    by Sue H at 19:15 on 04 December 2003
    Thanks. I will. And it's an agent - Curtis Brown.

And I just found out that one of their agents just died after a fall so I guess my timing was way off.

Sue
    by ginag at 20:26 on 04 December 2003
    You've done better than I did with Curtis Brown. They rejected my novel outright, with a standard rejection slip.

Gina.
    by Sue H at 20:31 on 04 December 2003
    Yes but they didn't read mine at all so there's still time for that standard rejection! Provided they let me send it in!
    Sue