Login   Sign Up 

Random Read

This 29 message thread spans 2 pages: 1  2  > >  
  • Children`s fiction
    by Tybalt at 11:12 on 13 May 2003
    I'm approaching the final chapters of the first draft of a children's story (approx 15000 words). It's time to start the hunt for a publisher/agent. Obviously the Writer's Handbook gives some information but it's hardly extensive. Does anyone out there have personal experience of children's publishing. 'Would be grateful for all advice.
  • Re: Children`s fiction
    by david bruce at 13:43 on 13 May 2003
    Have you had a look at the relevent section in our directory: childrens' publishers ?
    by Becca at 15:54 on 13 May 2003
    I do know things about the picture book section of Walkers. But your work would probably be in the older age department. About the picture book section, they say they use 1% of what comes through and don't use anything unsolicited. Also they have a particular 'look' and feel to their publications that make them very distinctive, worth seeing if you can make out what it is. I haven't been able to define it myself, it grew up with the company first started by a man called Seb. Walker with a small group of editors, designers and artists. What is noticeable in the picture book section is how loyal they are to the artists they use. This may not be a huge amount of help to you but might I suppose give Walkers a bit of a face, make them seem less distant. I will do a bit of prodding and see what I can find out about other bits of Walkers for you.
    Cheers,
    Becca.
    by Tybalt at 19:50 on 13 May 2003
    Thanks Becca for the info on Walker. I'll have a browse in the library and see what they're heading for (and whether my book would fit). If you do manage to find out more about the older age-group section, I'd be very grateful.
    by Tybalt at 19:55 on 13 May 2003
    David, thanks for referring me to WW directory for a list of children's publishers. It's very useful. I'd still like any inside information on specific publishing houses so I can target my book as accurately as possible.
    by david bruce at 07:17 on 14 May 2003
    Tybalt - as you may have seen, we're trying to collect just such information from other users on the site. We have had some response, but would like a lot more, so if any has tried any kind of publisher, do let us know the kind of response (if any) you got and we'll include the info in the directory so everyone else can learn from it.
    by Anna Reynolds at 21:56 on 14 May 2003
    Just to add- this is a brilliant way for writers to find out who doesn't return material, who's fair, who makes useful comments, who charges readiung fees- nobody reputable should- etc. So don't be shy, let us know about your experiences of publishers, agents, tv/film/theatre companies, etc. But be brief and succinct.
    by Tybalt at 11:20 on 15 May 2003
    As soon as I have anything to report, I'll do so. Many thanks
    by Mary Paris at 21:24 on 27 May 2003
    Dear Tybald,
    I hope you don't mind if I talk to you. I'm a new writer struggling like so many to get published. Unfortunately I can't give much advice because I've also been rejected many times but the fight goes on.
    I've just felt talking to someone in the same position. I am new to all this and I am still trying to learn. Maybe you can tell how do I "upload work", do I send a sample or a chapter of one of my stories or what? If it's okay with you we may exchange ideas...
    Hope hearing from you.
    Regards,
    M. Paris.
    by Anna Reynolds at 22:31 on 27 May 2003
    Hi Mary
    Why don't you join one of the groups? and you can upload one piece of work in the Archive as well.

best
    Anna
    by Becca at 07:39 on 28 May 2003
    Tybalt,
    I haven't forgotten what I said about Walkers. I'm trying to pull off an interview with someone in the written works section, but it might take a bit of time. Then I'd need to go armed with questions that children's writers wanted answers to. I'll let you know if it comes about. They'd always say study the form, though as their first comment.
    by Tybalt at 10:44 on 28 May 2003
    Hi Becca
    Brilliant; 'look forward to hearing anything you glean. In the meantime, I'll be studying the form.
    by Tybalt at 10:51 on 28 May 2003
    Hi Mary.
    Of course you can talk to me, share ideas etc. The kids' writers group is hardly overflowing with members and we could well do with a new addition. Anna's right; join a group and throw in a piece. As a matter of interest, did you approach publishers direct or were you going for an agent? Any thoughts on this?
    by Mary Paris at 20:47 on 28 May 2003
    Thanks Anna, I'll be working on that.
    by Mary Paris at 20:59 on 28 May 2003
    Hi, Tybalt. Thanks for your reply. I've on the road for about two years. I've tried to find an agent but no luck, either they didn't come back to me or they're "busy". Regarding publishers, it has been disappointment after disappointment. I've written four fiction stories so far for children in different age groups and the only success I've had was to have three of them published for free at Newwriter.co.uk. You're welcomed to have a look if you have the time and interest.I keep trying here and there...if only there was a small publisher out there willing to give a chance to new writers...I am dreaming!
    What about yourself?
  • This 29 message thread spans 2 pages: 1  2  > >