Login   Sign Up 

This 29 message thread spans 2 pages:  < <   1  2 > >  
  • Re: Children`s fiction
    by Mary Paris at 21:08 on 28 May 2003
    Hi, Anna. It's Mary again. Regarding personal experience with publishers, I can tell you that I've recently submitted a story to Orion group after sending a preliminary letter and E-mail, pointing out about my unsolicited work which wasn't "apparently" a problem for them. And so I did and I gladly sent the whole manuscript (more than 40.000 words) and after spending on paper, ink, stamps and so on I had it returned after one week exactly! It makes me wonder how many chapters they actually read if any at all...
    by Becca at 05:51 on 29 May 2003
    Hello Mary,
    It must be true that publishers don't read whole manuscripts, even if they ask for them. I suspect that they are so familiar with exactly what does and doesn't sell,(for them), that they know a long time before the end what they can do with it. What would be useful is if they took enough time to give some kind of reason that gave the writer insight. Good luck, keep going with it, more than that, .. keep writing.
    by Tybalt at 18:39 on 30 May 2003
    Mary, I'm totally new at this game and have only recently turned my hand to children's fiction. Before that I was a straight writer - boring stuff for development journals etc. I've mucked about with kids' drama in the past and I enjoyed it so much that I decided to have a go at a short novel for ... ?? Age group uncertain - hope it's broad!
    by Beverley Hills at 19:21 on 30 May 2003
    Have you checked out Black Sheep Mary? Also Faber and Faber's children's dept accepts unsolicited scripts, it's all in the directory here. PFD chidren's book dept are worth looking at. Check out the submissions guidelines on their website
    http://www.pfd.co.uk/about/submissions.py#books
    by Mary Paris at 14:39 on 31 May 2003
    Hi, Beverly. Thanks for the info. I've contacted Black Sheep but no answer yet...I've tried the directory but I couldn't get through...do you have Faber's e-mail address by any chance?
    by Beverley Hills at 15:04 on 31 May 2003
    Mary, go to Faber's website, address in directory, and the look at the section 'For Writers' there you will find a link for submission guidelines.
    Good luck!
    by Mary Paris at 20:24 on 02 June 2003
    Beverly. Unfortunately I don't have access to the directory because I am not a full member. Thanks for the suggestion anyway.
    by Beverley Hills at 08:12 on 03 June 2003
    Just type Faber and Faber or any publishing house/agency into a search engine Mary and you can get all the info you want. Try Google, www.google.co.uk I usually find they come up trumps. Or look at any book published by Faber in your local bookshop/library, ask the assistant/librarian, or get their number from directory enquiries.
    Or make life even simpler and join up!
    Good luck

Beverley
    by Mary Paris at 21:16 on 24 June 2003
    Hi Becca,

It's Mary again...after some time! I know it's a long shot but do you (or anybody else does) know an illustrator willing to take up on a new (and small) project? I know it's a long shot (I can't even find an agent!)but I've come up with a Christmas story for younger children and with colourful and easy-to-understand illustrations would enable a child (by herself) or with her mummy, daddy, auntie, whoever... not only to re-tell the story using their own words but also understand the simple message behind it. Does it sound too daft?
    Regards.
    by Becca at 22:40 on 24 June 2003
    What I know about children's publishers is only about Walkers, who have their own illustrators that they use.
    by Anna Reynolds at 22:45 on 24 June 2003
    Mary-
    Don't know how to find illustrators, but a lot of children's publishers are very happy- if not happier- to get words and pics seperately, because they've often got their own favourite illustrators that they can match up with newly taken on writers. So that might not be much help but other than that, you could do the obvious- find a book that's illustrated by someone whose work you love and think 'That's just right' and then contact them? Best of luck. Keep us informed.
    by Mary Paris at 22:56 on 26 June 2003
    Becca and Anna,
    Thank you for your replies.
    Regards.
    by Becca at 15:30 on 07 July 2003
    Tybalt, I said I'd see what I could do with regards to being close to Walker Books, (via a relative), but because the area you need is not the one I have easy access too, it looks like a no-no. I do still think though that all you can do is study the form and approach people who you sense would have a feeling for your material. Sorry I couldn't help in this.
    by Tybalt at 08:30 on 08 July 2003
    Becca
    Thanks for your efforts. Am busily studying form and reckon Walker, Orchard, possibly OUP and one or two others are my most likely targets. I'm grateful for your help. Will provide feedback if and when.
  • This 29 message thread spans 2 pages:  < <   1  2 > >