Login   Sign Up 

Random Read

• Association of Authors Agents
    by Sue H at 18:28 on 08 January 2004
    Is it advisable to only approach agencies who are signed to the Association of Authors Agents? Presumably they have to abide by a code of conduct if they are part of the association or does it not matter?
    Sue
  • Re: Association of Authors Agents
    by Dee at 18:50 on 08 January 2004
    It should mean that they provide a standard of service set by the AAA. It doesn’t necessarily follow that those who are not members fall below these standards.

I’m sure Katie can contribute to this discussion.

Dee.
    by Sue H at 19:00 on 08 January 2004
    That would be really helpful. I'm putting together a list of agents to approach and, because the list is fairly large, want to prioritise. As I don't really know much about most of the agents on the list, apart from the details in the writers handbook, I wondered whether membership of the AAA should be a factor in determining who I approach first.
    Sue
    by Elspeth at 11:16 on 09 January 2004
    We're members of the Personal Manager's Association, but to be honest, I'd have to check about the AAA - I suspect we're not members. As we represent directors and actors as well as writers, it makes more sense for us to be with PMA.

I would suggest being open minded. Look at the commission they charge (the agreed average is approx 12.5% though some places charge more for overseas work, up to 20%). As long as they don't charge you anything other than commission they're probably worth a shot. If in doubt, check how long they've been going, who their clients are etc.

Dee's right that these organistations set a certain standard, but not strict rules. They try to agree on what commission to charge and so on so that there are industry standards. They also try to resolve problems they're having en masse, for example with repeats or royalty fees vs a buyout; that way their complaint carries more weight.
    Katie
    by Dee at 11:36 on 09 January 2004
    Katie, you're a star.

Dee