Login   Sign Up 

Random Read

This 39 message thread spans 3 pages: 1  2   3  > >  
  • Pen Name
    by ginag at 07:42 on 09 January 2004
    Has anyone used or intends to use a pen name? I'm still debating whether to or not. Also, when you send a submission which name goes where? I guess the pen name would be on the manuscript and the covering letter would be in your real name but I'm not sure how to make it clear, anyone know?
  • Re: Pen Name
    by James Anthony at 09:19 on 09 January 2004
    Only by accident. I was filling in a form on a website and put my middle and first name the wrong way around (I know, I'm not very bright), hence James Anthony.
    by Nell at 09:24 on 09 January 2004
    Hi Gina,

If you use a pen name you should put it on the cover that is the first page of your sample chapters and synopsis. This is an A4 sheet with the title and word count (for the whole ms.) about half way down, followed by the author name (usually underneath), with an indication in brackets that it's a nom de plume. I usually leave a space then add real name, address, email and telephone number. You should use your real name in the covering letter.

A pen name is useful for all sorts of reasons. It gives anonymity - OK, I know that most published authors don't become that well known, but personally I like to keep my life as an artist separate from that of my life as a writer, slight though that is. Like putting on a different hat or reinventing oneself.

Maybe the author's real name is awkward, unmemorable or just too ordinary, in which case it's fun to invent another. You have a chance here to be exactly who you want to be!

by Account Closed at 11:03 on 09 January 2004
    I've never understood the usefulness of pen-names. Sure, in times gone by, talented female writers would require one in order to be published, but today?

The only two reasons I can think of is that either a) you're embarrassed by your own work, and don't want it to be associated with you or b) you're embarrassed by your own name, and don't think people will want to buy a book with such a silly name on it.

Either way, it seems pretty stupid to me.

Can anyone enlighten me on the reasons one might choose to write under an assumed identity?
    by Dee at 11:34 on 09 January 2004
    A few writers use pen-names to write different genres.

In an ideal world that's what I plan to do. The novel I'm currently trying to get published is a romance, as are the other three I have on the go. So I hope to become known in this genre under my own name. But I am also working on a crime novel which is a completely different animal and would probably shock lovers of romance. I certainly wouldn't like my mother to see it! So, if it ever gets published. it will come out under a pen name, not - absolutely not - because I'm embarrassed by it, but simply to keep the two genres separate.

Dee.
    by Nell at 11:50 on 09 January 2004
    IB, maybe the reason some writers use a pen name is the same as why members here choose a user name that's different from their real one. User names can be quite revealing.
    by Account Closed at 11:57 on 09 January 2004
    Heh, my "pen-name" was intellectually engineered to seduce bored housewives in Yahoo! chatrooms.

In it's heyday, it was hugely successful.
    by word`s worth at 13:05 on 09 January 2004
    I've considered using a pen name. My main reason is that most English speaking people stumble over my real name with some rather embarrassing results for them more than for me - I've gotten used to being mispronounced. Nahed Rashad isn't even my proper name but it's a lot easier on the eye, ear and tongue than my real name (in my opinion). Don't get me wrong, I like my name and proud of it and its origins (Arab) but I wonder if, in this day and age with all these goings on, if an Arab name would alienate publishers/agents and even readers?
    by ginag at 19:29 on 09 January 2004
    Ta everyone, for your advice.

IB, the reason I'm thinking of using a pen name is because I don't think my real name is memorable, especially the surname. Although I am having trouble coming up with a decent alternative.

Gina Gordon (in case you're wondering)
    by Dee at 19:32 on 09 January 2004
    Gina? What the hell's wrong with Gina Gordon? Sounds fine to me. In fact, very memorable.

Dee.
    by Account Closed at 19:36 on 09 January 2004
    My favourite pen name, or psudeonymn, not my own of course, is Evan Hunter's pen name of Ed McBain. Has tough crime authority written all over it. Probably has something to do with Evan Hunter sounding like the name of a lesbian. Not that there's anything wrong with lesbians*, I'm sure some have lovely names, but the man writes tough crime books and Ed McBain, that's one cool name.

Steven

* My appologies to all lesbians, I don't want any poison pen letters and leave my poodle alone please, it has feeling too you know.
    by Account Closed at 19:39 on 09 January 2004
    I'd definitely buy a book by Gina Gordon - what a great name. And you have more than 2 syllables - congratulations!! I for one would definitely go for another name - mine is dull!!

))

Anne Brooke
    by Dee at 20:10 on 09 January 2004
    Steven, beware. A fatuous apology can not justify poking gratuitous fun at what you would no doubt call ‘a minority group’.

Dee.
    by Account Closed at 20:54 on 09 January 2004
    My dear Dee,

I live in Nottingham where the women out-number the men 3 to 1, and start the fights I am in a minority group. I had no intentions of being nasty in my comments, after all, you did pick up on the 'fun' element. Though your and "beware" have given me good cause to think about what is funny and what isn't and to make sure the front-door is securely locked.

But as women are smarter than men, and there's only been one female serial killer in history, I think I can sleep safely in knowing that any minority groups, a term which I think sounds as horrible as the word homosexual, are a big enough prescence in the world not to care about what I have to say and hunt me down while I sleep. And I was only joking

Steven
    [now living in fear of women]

Dee, can you ever forgive me?
    by Dee at 21:41 on 09 January 2004
    I don't think so... grovel a bit more...
  • This 39 message thread spans 3 pages: 1  2   3  > >