Login   Sign Up 

Random Read

• Hope for us all yet....
    by Elspeth at 11:06 on 09 January 2004
    For those of you who worry that books that are 'quirky', 'unusual' or 'not commercial' don't get published in today's cynical, money driven world, take heart in Mark Haddon's success.

I was delighted to read he's won the Whitbread award for 'the curious incident of the dog in the night time' (see the news section on WW)
    I loved reading it, and recommend it to anyone and everyone. As a pitch - it's about an autisitc boy investigating the death of his neighbour's dog - it sounds far too 'quirky' for some. But within one page you'll be utterly seduced by the narrator. I found it fascinating to follow a story from the point of view of someone who doesn't understand what 'happy' means, and who can't read people's facial expressions. For someone who doesn't seem to have a concept of 'emotion', the book's full of it.

So you see; we aren't a bad lot. Occasionally we do go for something that isn't written by a Big Brother contestant or serialised in the Daily Mail.
    Katie
  • Re: Hope for us all yet....
    by Account Closed at 11:17 on 09 January 2004
    by Elspeth at 11:31 on 09 January 2004
    Ah - she's always one step ahead.....

<Added>

Perhaps the two forum's can be merged? Or are there several more scattered around the site...?
    by Anna Reynolds at 13:50 on 09 January 2004
    No, this is it for the Curious Dog I think. Thanks IB, I try. Yes, isn't it great- and he sounds so modest too, I loved that line about thinking he would be seen as a insane person shouting in the street. Hope for us all, indication of a slight wind of change do we think? even if that translates as cynical publishers realise there's lot of money sometimes in these oddball books.
    by olebut at 15:44 on 09 January 2004
    i guess not as coincidental as many things but I am at present following an arts in the community course and one book which we have been advised o rad is this one as our tutor considers it gives a wonderful insight into the world of autism

<Added>

sorry about the typos

should have course have read

to read
    by Elspeth at 16:40 on 09 January 2004
    That's exactly what I found so fascinating about it Olebut. It is a great insight into how those with autism simply don't see the world the same way we do. I wonder whether the on-going debate about autism and mmr has also contributed to its success. Autism is suddenly a condition that people are seeing discussed everywhere and dramatised and so on, so it's a topical subject too.
    by James Anthony at 16:53 on 09 January 2004
    Well I'm buying a book tonight so it might just be that one. Cool and ta very much