Login   Sign Up 

• First Rejection
    by word`s worth at 13:32 on 09 January 2004
    I received in the post today a familiar looking envelope. Yes, it was my SAE to the first agent I had submitted my work to. I have to admit that the initial feeling I experienced wasn't as bad as I had anticipated. My sister, who's still with me from before Christmas, was more offended by the rejection than I was.

The letter was general and impersonal enough (although they did handwrite my name) for me not to take the rejection too personally. But then I got to thinking and mulling over, as you do, and then the thoughts 'maybe I'm just not good enough', 'maybe I shouldn't hope for too much' and 'who are you kidding? you! a writer? Pah!' crept stealthily into my brain. I've worked through those thoughts quickly and have now banished them to the murky depths of dormant depression (I'm sure they'll rear their ugly heads soon ) I will persevere and I will continue to write because I enjoy writing and will continue to submit my work in the event that even one person enjoys reading my writing and so the wheels keep turning.

Right...Katie (Elspeth), I know you're still wading through a backlog of submissions, but you'll be able to add mine to the pile soon
  • Re: First Rejection
    by Dee at 13:52 on 09 January 2004
    Oh Nahed, I’m so sorry. But you’ve got the right attitude. It’s not personal and first-time-success is about as rare as rocking horse shit.

I set myself a target. If I got 20 rejections I would seriously consider giving up. It was weird but, when I got to about 19, I lost count. I developed a rubber bum and kept going. And it was worth it.

So stay positive. The only difference between a good writer and a successful good writer is that the successful one didn’t give up.

Dee.

<Added>

bugger! I meant :)

<Added>

Why didn't it work?
    :)
    by Account Closed at 14:09 on 09 January 2004

Smilies don't seem to work in added comments.

by James Anthony at 14:10 on 09 January 2004
    I burn my rejection letters so I don't know how many times I've been rejected. I've even started to look forward to that part... but that may be just me.

Don't worry about it. All it tells you is that that person didn't like your work. So, I'm not terribly fond of Ken Follet but I am sure millions of people are.

Also, don't take it as a critique of your novel/ writing. These people have to make judgement about what they think will sell as well as the quality of the writing. Now that has got to be hard work and sometimes a decision is made that may prove wrong in the future (J R Rowling, John Grisham - don't like their work, but they are successful and they were rejected numerous times), and sometimes they will just feel your work doesn't suit their list.

Lastly, don't stop writing...even if you can't make a living on it, or any money at all, you're writing because you enjoy it and anyway, that'll mean we'd all miss out!

Good luck for the future though.

PS I've been rejected so many times that I am afraid my near future novel may soon turn into a historical one before long!
    by Dee at 14:12 on 09 January 2004
    They're so fickle... like agents. (apart from our lovely Katie, of course!)

by Sue H at 15:01 on 09 January 2004
    Keep going. There will be someone out there for you. That's what I tell myself anyway!
    Sue
    by word`s worth at 22:39 on 09 January 2004
    Thanks for your support all. I'm already preparing for my next submission - just polishing up the synopsis and the ms a bit. Life goes on, eh?
    by Dee at 22:42 on 09 January 2004
    Write on, my friend...

by Jumbo at 23:37 on 09 January 2004
    Nahed

Sorry to hear about the letter. I just thought I'd reinforce what everybody else has said to you - keep writing - and keep submitting your work.

But then from your last posting, you obviously don't need to be told that!

Are you re-submitting the same ms? It sounds like you may be working on something else.

Whatever you choose to do, best of luck with it!!

John
    by word`s worth at 01:42 on 10 January 2004
    Hi Jumbo,

Thanks for your support . Yes I'm submitting the same MS, my third novel, but I'm just tweaking it here and there before I do so.

I am indeed working on another at the same time, but it's nowhere near finished on paper. As well as that, I have another completed MS, the first one I ever wrote, but I'm not too keen on the story now so that's waiting to be reworked before it ever sees the light of day. And then there's another incomplete MS, the second one I wrote, which I like and hope to complete but I got caught up in the plot of the new MS, my fourth novel, which I'm working on now...

Confused? You will be...

I didn't realise I had so many balls up in the air...not that I'm complaining. I have years of drought as far as plots and storylines are concerned but then they just come one after the other! Do you think there'll ever be an increase to the number of hours in a day, because I sure need them! Good Lord, it's 1:45 am! I've got to be up in 5 hours time to take my sister to the airport!!!! :/
    by olebut at 09:30 on 10 January 2004
    Folks take heart from how many rejections Joanna Rowling had before fortune smiled on her. I can not remember the exact number but I am sure it was into double figures.

by Jubbly at 12:50 on 10 January 2004
    Don't be too down hearted Wordsworth, I've had so many rejections they'll probably put REJECTED on my tombstone. I can see it now, gravediggers shaking their heads and apologising to my family - "Sorry, she doesn't quite fit our list requirements, but I'm sure you'll find a cemetary in the near future that will be suitable."
    I always think of a quote, don't know who said it and I'm no doubt paraphrasing but it goes something like this -

'If you think you can, you just might but if you think you can't you definitely won't.'

Best of luck

Julie
    by word`s worth at 17:17 on 10 January 2004
    Oh Julie, thanks for putting a smile on my face. Rejected from a hole in the ground to boot! Now that really would be the pits I think this calls for a group hug :D

James Anthony, or is it Anthony James, stop burning your rejection letters! I think I'm going to collect mine and keep them safe for that day when I look back and remember fondly my struggle to prove myself. This is of course, while I polish and admire all the prizes I have won for my literary accomplishments . Hey, one can dream...can one not?