Login   Sign Up 

• Written a short story - what do I do now?
    by James Anthony at 21:33 on 12 January 2004
    K, I'm useless. I freely admit it. The only good thing I am good it is taking up space (too much really).

So my question is, what do I do with my short stories? I know I could enter them into competitions, but is there another route? How do I find out? I have had a look through the directory but would appreciate advice, pointers, stuff and most of all nonsense.

Cheers and ta

take care all

james (anthony)

<Added>

'good at'

see, I told you. and now I've taken up more space...
  • Re: Written a short story - what do I do now?
    by Anna Reynolds at 11:10 on 13 January 2004
    James, other routes are to get a short story into an anthology, and these opportunities come along occasionally, but they are as competitive as ... competitions, really. The next route is literary magazines (print or online) that are devoted to short stories, some WW members have had stories published that way, and you can find listings of all these in the Directory. We often interview magazines that publish new short fiction, the most recent being Aesthetica, and Pulp.Net. Basically, to get to a stage of sending stories to an agent or publisher for a collection, you'd need to have a very good writing CV of published stories, and this has to be built up gradually in the ways above. So start making a list of the magazines/sites/etc that publish new fiction, check if they have genre/gender/length restrictions and how that fits with what you're writing, and then get polishing. I'm sure you'll also get good and useful feedback from other WW members on their experiences.
  • Re: Written a short story - what do I do now?
    by James Anthony at 11:19 on 13 January 2004
    Thank you Anna.

During my insomnia last night I had a good look around and sent off Number 12 (a short story) to pulp.net. It seemed a good one to send it to after reading a few articles and stories so now I wait and see.

All in good fun.

Take care all

james (anthony)