Login   Sign Up 

Random Read

• General advice needed on magazine publishing
    by matt611 at 14:31 on 16 January 2004
    Hi

I am in the process of writing a very promising article, which would really work as a feature in G2, a sunday supplement, Times magazine etc.

Problem is, I'm not sure of the best way to go about submitting it. Do I just pitch the idea and wait for a response or do I finish article and then hawk it around. If its the latter how do I ensure that my ideas and research are not just ripped off and re-written (or am I just being paranoid!?)

Any advice would be most helpful. And contacts would be great too.

Thanks
  • Re: General advice needed on magazine publishing
    by Anna Reynolds at 15:14 on 16 January 2004
    Matt, you could see how the papers you mention prefer to have ideas or work sent- some will want a phone call/email idea, others will look at a completed piece. We are just about to run an interview with a Guardian/Times freelance journalist, so do ask her as well! In terms of contacts, what kind of piece is it- travel, general feature, interview, etc?
    by matt611 at 13:53 on 26 January 2004
    Thanks for your help Anna.

My feature is a look at some of the "secret histories" of some key London buildings and landmarks. Sounds quite dull, but it encompasses such topics as paganism, mass-murder, the plague and freemasonry so is quite a spicy read.

Just read your interview with the Guardian freelancer and she dosen't really touch on the best way of submitting work. Obviously it helps if you have some sort of relationship or contact with the editor, but if you haven't I guess the only way is to pitch it and hope for a response.

I'll let you know the outcome.

Thanks again

by Dee at 14:56 on 26 January 2004
    Matt, there’s a very informative piece right at the beginning of this year’s WAYB. It says that many of the larger newspapers get their stories and articles through syndicates and press agencies, all of which are listed in the book.

Good luck. Far from dull, your article sounds fascinating to me. I love that sort of stuff and would enjoy reading it. You must let us know if it's accepted for publication.

Dee.