Login   Sign Up 

This 28 message thread spans 2 pages:  < <   1  2 > >  
  • Re: Rejection
    by Daisy at 08:24 on 23 January 2004
    Three seems awfully few to me. Agents have their own tastes, and to find one book that appeals to a third of the populous would be rare indeed. And that doesn't allow for agents not seeking a particular genre or not seeking new authors at all.

I think (speaking from a place where I have never approached an agent) that I would look at what the rejections say. If there is a high number that obviously haven't taken the time to read the book, I wouls carry on sending. If they have taken the time to give you feedback, then I would pay attention. If they all seem like standard letters then I would be tempted to keep on truckin till someone pays attention [ and either loves it or gives useful feedback.

But, as I said I am a novice in this area, so don't pay too much attention.
    by heather jr at 09:32 on 23 January 2004
    From what I have been hearing 3 rejections is nothing - I have two down and one to go! But the result of reading what a lot of you say, and continuing to get advice wherever I can has made me think - not of giving up - at this stage no way! But of honing what I have done to greater er.....would perfection be the right word? LOL. I was re-reading a section that I wanted to upload last night, and right away picked up on several things that would make it better. I have three submissions out at the moment, but while I am waiting for them to boomerang I intend to spend time going through the whole thing making it as good as it can possibly be (which I thought I had done already, but clearly didn't) and working on the intro letter, which although OK, may not be quite good enough. So my evenings are divided between keeping the next book going and revising the first. That way I can feel I am doing the best I can, and maybe the next agent will be the one! But in the meantime, if the sample chapters are sorted, then I will continue to go for it. Who was it said 'We will never surrender?' :-))
    H
    PS - Nahed, I'll send my pralines when you send your scone!
    by Sue H at 10:06 on 23 January 2004
    Heather,
    This is exactly the same position I'm in. I'm on my 4th edit of the first book and sometimes feel that the editing will never be done. I'm going to print it out, read it in one go and then one final tightening up and it will have to do. I've got loads of notes for book two and have the basic outline but I need to move on really and actually write it!
    Sue
    by word`s worth at 10:33 on 23 January 2004
    I too think that 3 rejections, however depressing, are too few for one to stop submitting a manuscript or samples of one. Like Heather, I've got one rejection to go before I reach my quota of 3 and I don't think I'm ready just yet to give up on this story as it stands. I'm constantly editing it and polishing it after every rejection but sometimes I wonder if I'm editing for the better or worse? I feel as if I've added or taken things away to please others and it becomes a story I no longer recognise as the original idea I was so excited about writing. I suppose that has to be done? I seriously doubt that the two agents I received rejections from actually read the ms, there was no feedback on it so I'm not going to take their rejections as an indication of whether my story is marketable or otherwise. IF an agent gets back to me with a rejection and constructive criticism then I will seriously think about rewriting or even putting on the side for a while while a focus on my other ongoing projects.

My boss told me that she was reading a story about a novelist who is now published who couldn't get an agent. After 15 rejections she sent her ms to a small publishing house that guaranteed reading of all submitted mss. They loved it. After that the agents were falling over themselves to take her on.

There is always hope!

Nahed

P.S. Heather. Too late! They're all in me tummy...yummy! Greedy oink that I am...next time I'll remember thee!

<Added>

Sorry about the odd incomprehensible sentences...writing quickly before I am discovered...shhhhh!
    by James Anthony at 14:07 on 23 January 2004
    NOt sure that the 3 rejections and change the mauscript is fair. But a lot of the time I wonder if the agents read the manuscript. I think it may be fair to think 3 rejections and rethink the synopsis and letter. Agents will read that and if you're not seliing it well in that maybe that is why the manuscript is not being read. THerefore maybe think about re-writing the synopsis and make the letter stand out against the deluge that they inevitably get. Just a thought really...
    by Sue H at 14:13 on 23 January 2004
    And a damned good one it is too!
    Sue
    by Dee at 15:19 on 23 January 2004
    So this is what you get up to while I’m out working my fingers off, is it?

Before you all rush off and rewrite your synopses, bear in mind that a lot of agents read the sample chapters first and only read the synopsis if they like the style, the setting, the characters etc. So, if the first page doesn’t grab them, they won’t even look at the synopsis. Of course, if you really think the synopsis needs rewriting, then do it.

As for the three rejections thing… I agree three isn’t many unless they all reject it for the same reason. If the first three agents you submit to all say they don’t like your characters or the plot is weak or your style stinks, then you really should take a long hard look at it and send them a silent thank you for highlighting a problem you can work on.

Cheers,
    Dee.
    by Sue H at 16:12 on 23 January 2004
    Thanks Dee. That's really helpful - I didn't know that. I always presumed that the synopsis was the first thing read. Still think mine needs work though - damn!
    Sue
    by word`s worth at 16:58 on 23 January 2004
    There's a lot of conflicting information out there (on t'internet) about how many pages a synopsis should be. It varies from 2 to up to 7! pages. Being a novice to the whole writing/synopsis/submitting scene I found it all very daunting. I have to admit that my synopsis started out 8 pages long and now I've got it down to 2 pages - I don't know how I managed it without losing the plot, so to speak. I don't think I can edit it or polish it any more...I'm hoping Katie will give me some feedback on it and the chapters I sent. Gawd bless her!

I'm imagining her as a head popping out of a mountain of paper - reaching out for a bag of maltesers.

Are the smilies still around...?

Nahed
    by heather jr at 17:38 on 23 January 2004
    Every agent's submission details that I have seen say either maximum 1 page or even less for the synopsis. My first effort was a packed page long, and with help from friends who read the book then the synopsis I got it down to a fairly leisurely page. But I think that was at the expense of some essential detail - the plot is complex and cutting it down was/still is a nightmare and have it still make any kind of sense. I was told somewhere that the synopsis should be like the back cover, but with the ending revealed. What do you all think of that description?
    H
    by word`s worth at 23:13 on 23 January 2004
    Yes, Heather. I read also that it should be an extended 'blurb' which reveals all. I've personally found it very difficult to cut the synopsis down to less than 2 pages. But perhaps I'm being too precious about explaining the story...I need to go and look it again. Delete button on the ready...
    by Jumbo at 23:35 on 23 January 2004
    My bible 'The Creative Writing Coursebook' advises no more than two sides of A4 for the synopsis.

I guess that's 12pt, but it doesn't specify single or double line spacing. So it doesn't help a lot, does it?

Well, I tried.

John
    by heather jr at 00:07 on 24 January 2004
    Oh poo - I cheated :-( To make mine fit I went down to 10pt single spaced!
    H
  • This 28 message thread spans 2 pages:  < <   1  2 > >