Login   Sign Up 

Random Read

• Reading Fee
    by Account Closed at 17:14 on 07 February 2004
    Hi! Wow, how glad i am I’ve found a web-site of like-minded writers!
    Anyway, after reading my sample chapters, an agency has requested to see my entire manuscript. the problem, however, is that they charge a reading fee of £80 plus £1 for every thousand words over 80,000. my manuscript is 105,000. Now, is this normal and should i go for it? They assure me only 10% of the authors that submit their sample chapters get this far and they seem like a reputable agency. I don't want to miss out on this chance for the sake of £100 yet I don't want to be scammed either. What are your thoughts? Thank you.

<Added>

Thank you all so much. I will take your advice and look elsewhere. WW has me hooked and due to the fact that you've all saved me £100, i might as well join up here AND buy you all a pint... a virtual one, anyway! :)
  • Re: Reading Fee
    by Account Closed at 17:30 on 07 February 2004
    R.L.,

I would do one of three things:

1> Tell them to f*** off.
    2> Tell them to shove it up their a***
    3> Send them photocopied money with the above comments.

That sounds like a con to me, I don't know what other people think, but that's an absolute disgrace. What publisher is it, if you don't mind me asking?

Steven
    by Dee at 17:43 on 07 February 2004
    Don't. Just don’t!

It might be tempting but don't. What are they offering you in exchange for reading your work? I'll read your work for £80. I'll read anything for £80. I won't get it published, I probably won't comment on it, but I'll read it.

Reputable agents work for their clients and make their money from commission on material they sell to publishers. They do not charge their clients for the privilege of working for them.

Sorry if this is not what you want to hear but save your money and keep going. If you’re serious about this, upload a sample of your writing and we’ll help you for free.

Welcome to WW.

Dee

<Added>

just read Steven's comments. Couldn't have put it better myself!!!

Dee.
    ;)
    by Account Closed at 17:50 on 07 February 2004
    R.L.,

For 35 quid you can become a full member of WW. There is a HUGE section with contact information for publisher's and agent's. It's absolutely phenomenal.

For the fraction of the price those scam artists are asking, you could have all the publishing info. you need. Plus there's all of us on WW, and we're quite priceless

Steven
    by Sue H at 19:45 on 07 February 2004
    Never, never. No. No. No. DON'T DO IT!!!
    Do you think I've got that across?!
    Any good agency will take you on for no money whatsoever because they are so sure that they can sell your work and get their commission that way. Anyone else is just ripping you off.
    Sue
    by Account Closed at 20:50 on 07 February 2004
    Dear RL

Don't do it! No real agent ever asks for money! And neither does any real publisher. You can get valuable advice here on WriteWords, and if you want editorial input to your work, then there are also genuine editorial consultancies around who can advise you.

Remember, cash goes to, not from, the writer when dealing with agents or publishers.

Good luck!

Anne B
    by Jumbo at 23:13 on 07 February 2004
    Hi

Welcome to WW

I think you're probably getting the message by now!!

Don't do it. That's 'Don't do it' with a capital DON'T

Regards

John