Login   Sign Up 

Random Read

• Number 5 - a new slant
    by heather jr at 12:36 on 11 February 2004
    Hi guys
    Rejection number 5 today - the comment - 'not sufficiently gripping' LOL. Thats a new one for me. Does it mean 'dead boring'.....'no bodies on page 1'.....anyone else had this one? Certainly contrasts with a previous comment of 'engrossing'!
    H
  • Re: Number 5 - a new slant
    by word`s worth at 12:40 on 11 February 2004
    Hi Heather,

Haven't got the 'not gripping' one yet but I'll look out for it . Never mind, eh? Just get back on that horse and ride out to meet them head on...hmm..I think I've seen too much of Lord of the Rings...You know what I mean though right?

You'll find the right agent/publisher soon enough!

Nahed x
    by Jumbo at 15:09 on 11 February 2004
    Heather

I think there must be an RLG for rejection slip writers. You just got the February line!

Keep at it. You know that you'll suceed.

John
    by heather jr at 16:11 on 11 February 2004
    LOL - That cheered me up John, and thanks Nahed. I think this one stung a bit more than most. A bit like having an interesting conversation with someone, who after listening to you for half an hour turns round and says 'God but you're boring!' Makes you kind of lose faith
    On to the next methinks!
    H
    by word`s worth at 18:01 on 11 February 2004
    I know how you feel Heather, as well as mostly likely a lot of WriteWord members. Don't be too disheartened and keep smiling

Nahed x
    by Dee at 19:35 on 11 February 2004
    If I were you, Heather, I'd stop counting... you'll only depress yourself because, by the laws of average, you've got a long way to go...

Don't be too disheartened... there is someone out there for you... it's only a matter of time/perseverence/a thick skin/lots of luck...

Don't forget... this is one of the few businesses where 'not succeeding' is not the same thing as 'failing'. It only means you haven't rung the right bell yet... give it time, little one...

by heather jr at 22:56 on 11 February 2004
    Well Dee I just love the 'Little one' idea If only!!! I have one more out, and will wait for that to come back, then have a serious think about some fine tuning. Only yesterday I was complaining about lack of constructive criticism, and as if by telepathy, today I get a bucketload in one letter - maybe thats a good sign, and will give me some ideas for improvement before the next shot. Funny tho how some comments get under your skin and others don't. This is really the first one that has bothered me. maybe it was just a bad day
    H
    by BorderBound at 00:16 on 12 February 2004
    wow! you got a reply... thats something,
    keep trying, at least they're reading it,
    i just get the standard letter,
    either that or no response at all!!

by heather jr at 00:39 on 12 February 2004
    yeah - thats exactly what I was complaining about the other day - now I don't know which is worse! Oh - forgot to ask. Is there a good site on the net that sells luck? I could do with a couple of kilos
    H
    by Jumbo at 08:24 on 12 February 2004
    Heather

I bet you find that the more you write and the more you submit to agents and publishers, the luckier you get!

Keep at it!

Jumbo
    by Dee at 17:53 on 12 February 2004
    It’s odd, isn’t it how a certain comment can wind you up so much. I once had a rejection letter (yes, folks, they used a whole sheet of paper) which said, ‘I just don’t love your characters.’ … Huh?

I screwed it into a ball and threw it out into the garden. Of course the dog, helpful as ever, brought it back to me…

ee.