Login   Sign Up 

Random Read

• Bronte Literary Agency
    by kennyp at 20:26 on 22 February 2004
    Hi

Does anyone know if Bronte Literary Agency are still trading? The website has been taken down and anytime I try to phone the number it goes straight to voicemail. The Richard Hamilton Literary Agency has ceased trading.

Cheers
    Kenny
  • Re: Bronte Literary Agency
    by roger at 09:03 on 23 February 2004
    Hi Kenny,

If they have gone, that's good news. They were bogus, starting by making lots of nice noises then requesting £140 for a second opinion!
    by kennyp at 18:33 on 23 February 2004
    Hi Roger

Thanks for that piece of information. I sent out full manuscript which they requested over three months and as of yet still no reply. Asking for £140 for a second opionion is definately taking the micheal!
    by Richard Brown at 19:03 on 23 February 2004
    I'll try to make contact with them. Meantime I'll put a cautionary note in their Directory entry.
    Richard (Directory Editor)
    by Richard Brown at 19:16 on 23 February 2004
    I tried to send an e-mail but it was instantly rebuffed by the mail administrator. If anybody has any further information on this agency, please let me know.
    Richard.
    by Dee at 20:27 on 23 February 2004
    They’re not listed in WAYB 2004 but I seem to remember they are in Brighouse, which is five minutes in the car from where I work. If anyone has an address I’ll see if I can find them.

Dee.
    by roger at 21:35 on 23 February 2004
    It's a PO box address, Dee. PO Box 132, Ely, CB7 4ZN. For Kenny's reference....that's how they worked - ask for the typescript, keep you waiting 3/4 months, say they like it but need a second opinion. I'm afraid you'll have to write that one off and start again...sorry.
    by Nell at 07:09 on 24 February 2004
    Go to Google and type in 'Reggie Sharp Huddersfield Examiner'. I can't give the URL as it a 'view in HTML site.' It comes up at the top I believe. Click on 'View as HTML'. On page 4 there's a short piece about the Richard Hamilton Agency. If you also read through the foregoing info. you'll see exactly what they're about.

<Added>

There's also a short piece about the Bronte.
    by old friend at 09:26 on 24 February 2004
    Good Pointer from Nell. The Registered address for Bronte was posted by the Directors of Pegasus Elliot Mackenzie (also mentioned). The Registered address for Richard Hamilton is 27 Greenhead Road, Huddersfield, HD1 4EN.

It is almost certain that anyone sending money for 'second opinions', critiques etc will lose their money when a Partnership, Sole Trader or Limited Company goes under.

Others have echoed the advice that if you are asked to pay any money... then don't! Competition entrance fees are another matter but still need to be approached sensibly and with caution.

There are quite a few 'dubious' characters out there but there are even more gullible writers who imagine that some unknown 'critic' will turn their work into a best seller. It will not happen.

A writer must work hard, not only at 'writing' but in developing style, improving punctuation, spelling, grammar, syntax etc.
    The comments from your fellow writers on our site can be invaluable - not the applause but the constructive improvements that may be suggested; then it is up to you to accept or reject.
    Len

by kennyp at 10:00 on 24 February 2004
    Nell

Thanks for that useful bit of information. It just goes to show that not all Literary Agents are the "Gods of Olympus" we perceive them to be and there are a lot of self serving shysters and charlatans out there masquerading as agents

Cheers
    Kenny