Login   Sign Up 

Random Read

• Advice re: submitting short stories to magazines competitions
    by amnesia at 17:29 on 18 March 2004
    I'm thinking of sending some stories off to magazines for the first time. The question is which ones?
    Also which competitions would be good to enter? Is the Bridport too ambitious for someone who hasn't had anything published? What about Writers inc?
    Does anyone have any good advice?
    Are there any magazines I should steer clear of? [difficult one that one, I know]
    Which are more prestigious?
    I know I have to study the market but I'd be interested to hear from anyone who's had experience.

Amnesia.
    x
  • Re: Advice re: submitting short stories to magazines competitions
    by anisoara at 18:22 on 18 March 2004
    Amnesia,

I'm in the same boat as you. I can't really advise except to share my recent experience of mining for competition and magazine information! I can confirm that competition information seems a lot easier to come across.

A few March 31 deadlines are rapidly approaching. One such contest, listed in the job opportunities directory here at WriteWords is the Flame Short Story competition - there are eight winners. Oh, and feedback is provided on all stories.

Ani
    by Dee at 20:08 on 18 March 2004
    Amnesia,

The general feeling about getting work published in magazines is that you study your market and then write to suit.

No-one can tell you which is the best magazine to pitch at without knowing about your genre, your writing style, and your ambitions.

Having said all that – I tend to write what I want and then try to find a market. I have to say – as far as short stories in magazines goes – I have been spectacularly unsuccessful… All I can say is – seriously – decide which genre you are writing and study the magazines that accept it. Buy them. Read them – the whole magazine, not just the short story. Analyse why the stories they have published were accepted – especially study what readership they are aimed at – it tells you a lot!

Send them an sae for their guidelines. Make sure your story fits. And then send it off. Accept that the chances of your story being published in a mainstream magazine are virtually nil and you won’t be disappointed. But don’t forget there are many other publications that, while they aren’t on every newsagent’s counter, can give your work an airing and allow you to say you are a ‘published writer’.

Good luck!

Dee.
    by amnesia at 13:03 on 19 March 2004
    Hello Ani,
    Hello Dee,
    Thanks for that. I looked at the Flame website but I don't think it would be suitable for me. The writers inc deadline is the 19 April. And then theres the Bridport but I think that might be a bit ambitious for the first try.
    I've sent away for 'The London Magazine,' which is supposed to be good and also Anthologies from the Writers inc Competition. Oh and the New writer and Mslexia.
    I'm not the sort of writer that can write to suit.

Amnesia.
    x
    by anisoara at 13:32 on 19 March 2004
    Amnesia --

It's up to you, but in my opinion there's no reason enter to enter the Bridport. But it is the BIG ONE, isn't it?

I've just subscribed to the London Magazine too. I don't think I've got anything that would be suitable for it, but with the magazine inhand, it will be possible to get a feel for what they like. Plus the editor, Sebastian Barker, judges in big contests, soin my opinion knowing what the London Magazine goes for would also help with conests!

If you can get hold of Mslexia magazine, in the back they have listings for competitions with closing dates in the following three months.

I also feel that it is hard to write a short story to a specific title, but I would like to try. I want to try a story for the Seafield Writing Competition: the theme is 'fishing for compliments', short stories up to 2,500 words, deadline of 30 April, entry fee £3.

I suppose I am rambling.......

Anyway, go for it!

Ani