Login   Sign Up 

Random Read

This 45 message thread spans 3 pages:  < <   1   2  3 > >  
  • Re: Short story writers wanted by the BBC!
    by Anna Reynolds at 18:30 on 19 April 2004
    Whoops, Colin, sorry- I just deleted your repeat post, so now no-one knows what you're referring to... Let us know how you get on
    by Paperback at 19:53 on 19 April 2004
    I live in a town without bookshops. I kid you not. There was one location for the bookdrop in my town. I'll say now it wasn't the library. Here's the fricking clue.

"A novel approach to renting"

Oxfam was shut, it wasn't the train station, the bus station, the police station (i went there for something else, lol) i went to estate agents, letting agents, council house lettings. I roped in three of the lovely middle aged dears from the library to get thinking and phoning and searching. The boss of the town cultural affairs programme has been on and off the phone to me all day. So, i have just one simple question. Where the hell are they????

No-one seems to know a thing.

I don't think i need worry though. A town without bookshops isn't likely to run out any time soon, is it?

How the hell can they expect me to make a video diary for them and let them film me in my everyday life if they won't even give me a book?

Matt

Oh, and a final message to that smug bitch in WHSmiths. I wouldn't call two (2) counters of books a fucking bookshop, would you? Some people.
    by Daisy at 20:08 on 19 April 2004
    Do you know of anything that Doncaster has in common with Orkney, cos they have the same clue, a novel approach to renting.
    by haunted at 20:46 on 19 April 2004
    Sorry i can't help with that clue, if it isn't a library then i have no idea. Except a videa shop but that sounds wrong to me.

If you get desperate, there's a cheeky sod selling copies on ebay. 15 of them to be exact. I can't believe the nerve of some people.
    by Skeetr at 04:56 on 20 April 2004
    I was told that some of the clues are anagrams to the name of the store/spot where the books are. But, personally, I couldn't be bothered to figure it out, so I just called my local Waterstones and asked. They had it, held a copy for me, and I went and picked it up. Free -- so don't pay the eBay guy!

Just call your local (if you are in one of the towns the website lists as having been targeted) and ask.

And, despite this big hunt, the entire series of stories will be posted on the BBC website in a week or so -- still giving you until the end of May to write 1200 words, I think it is. Getting the book now gives you a 10-12 day head start, but other than that...
    by Traveller at 14:09 on 20 April 2004
    is anyone going to enter this end of story thing? it looked interesting - until i saw the prize - spending time with the author and getting a copy of the short story! I wonder whether this could actually damage the reputation of anyone who wanted to be recognised as a serious writer in their own right? What do you think? I'm not sold on it.
    by haunted at 15:12 on 20 April 2004
    At the moment there are very few opportunities for short story writers in the UK. You'd probably have to write a couple bestsellers before a publisher would even consider an anthology, no matter how good it is. So I think this competition is a great chance to open new doors, raise the profile of short story writers and bring them into the public eye.

Obviously the winners won't be recognised as a serious writer purely based on the ending of one story, but hopefully they will be able to use the experience to their advantage by making contacts and asking questions. Surely that can't be a bad thing.

I'll definitely be entering, even though the thought of being on TV brings me out in a nasty rash. I know I probably won't win, especially if lots of talented members from this site enter too, but I can't afford to pass this opportunity up. It's not like publishers begging me for a contract. I'll worry about being taken seriously after I’ve got my foot on the ladder.

Louise

NB. I will be playing dirty and using all my saving to bribe the judges.
    by Inspiration at 15:23 on 20 April 2004
    Just thought i'd write back to you on this subject as it made me laugh!

I have just been to my home town, 20 miles away (Cambridge) in my dinner hour. It was madness.

The friggin clues for Cambridge Ely and Huntingdon look so easy, I was rather hoping some kind person would have written a couple of stories on here (Yeah right!) for everyone to see. But as I can't find the books (or no one has heard of the comp) I really dont know how long the beginning of the stories are...could be reams! So that might be a bit cheeky. But as someone pointed out, if you live in East Anglia, the nearest interwiews, (where the book's would be handed out freely) are in LONDON!

I've been to the library, rang up the APU, the coach station, and the tourist information centre, how silly can i make myself look???????

It's so unfair....

The clues are :

Seeking instruction to find what you seek? This can give you access to a coach.

Bus coach, creative writing coach????

The second clue:

Get in training for the competition here.

Could mean all sorts of writing training!

Do they all have to be hidden in BOOKSHOPS or has anyone found them somewhere else?

I would really like some clues if there is anyone out there from Cambs. Although saying that, I'm not sure that if I ever got the chance of winning (YEAH right - agai I'd ant to appear on tv. Might look a little desparate, could damage someone's reputation (as someone else pointed out) but saying that I would still like to have a go!

Wouldn't pay anyone on Ebay, that's for sure. Rather wait until it's published on their website, than suffer more humiliation!!!

Help!

XXXInniXXX

by Colin-M at 16:44 on 20 April 2004
    Well, I've got a spare up for grabs - so far no one seems to want it.

As for entering, yeah, I'm up for it. I've had my fifteen seconds of fame on The Weakest Link a few months back, but as well as getting on the goggle-box, the prize seems pretty good to me. I don't think it could be a hindrance.

Anyway, after reading the stories I'm split between two, (as it's only one entry per person, which means picking one of the eight). Pretty hard choice, I must say.

Colin M.
    by Inspiration at 21:44 on 20 April 2004
    A SPARE ONE???? Freebie? I'll have it if it's up for grabs, please, but...I'm too tight to pay for it!! He He He!

Email me if you are serious. I don't think you'll have much competition with me!!!!

Could fork out enough for postage etc, but saying that, would it gain me much more of an advantage, time wise i mean? (Or any other way for that matter!)

Let me know what you think! I'd be interested in obtaining a copy for many reasons. Good writing excercises.

XXXInniXXX

<Added>

Hey, I only want to know what two of the stories are like...maybe three!

You could photocopy them, but that may be opening the floodgates...

I'll get my coat

XXXInniXXX
    by Inspiration at 21:50 on 20 April 2004
    God, insane bartender - Just had to mention that sounds just like someone I know!

(And not me, I hasten to add!)

I'm a happy type with her head in the clouds. But your little description, wow! Thats's spooky!

Nice touch,

XXXInniXXX
    by Inspiration at 21:58 on 20 April 2004
    How about a visit from your kitchen to Sunny Cambridge? I could even clean your windows, whilst smiling insanelyin the background!

Just a suggestion

Good luck you lucky so and so!

XXXInniXXX
    by Colin-M at 00:13 on 21 April 2004
    Sorry, Matt (aka Paperback) mailed me earlier. He was the first, but to be honest, I was tempted to send it to him anyway after that brilliant rant earlier on in this very thread. Particularly that bit about the woman in WHSmith - that made me laugh out loud - perfectly penned frustration.

All I can say is thank God for Amazon.co.uk. It doesn't match up to browsing through a real book shop, but it sure as hell beats the choice offered by ASDA and Sainsbury's, which is all I have unless I want a long(ish) drive.

Colin M.
    by Skeetr at 01:46 on 21 April 2004
    Hi Inni -- don't exactly know why/what triggered this idea -- but your Cambridge clues lead me to think the books would be at the rail station, probably at the point where you could board one of those tour coaches that take you about the campus and town.

And, also, from watching the TV show, wasn't there a phone number to call that cost £1 and they would mail you a copy of the book? I thought I remembered seeing that scroll across the bottom of the screen a few times.
    by Inspiration at 13:43 on 21 April 2004
    Thanks Skeetr,

I missed the show, but it is going to be repeated on BBC (i think) Thursday, so i'll keep a look out for it.

Railway station sounds good. Well done - hadn't thought of that, obviously!

Not to worry Colin M, but thanks for letting me know!

XXXInniXXX
  • This 45 message thread spans 3 pages:  < <   1   2  3 > >