Login   Sign Up 

Random Read
cccc by alexg

• scriptwriting + business
    by snikelle at 19:52 on 05 June 2003
    Hi,
    Could anyone recommend me a book about the business side of scriptwriting / playwrighting?

I'm thinking of stuff like: contracts, negotiation, copyright, etc.

thanks,
    snikelle
  • Re: scriptwriting + business
    by tweed at 23:07 on 05 June 2003
    There's an interesting site called Done Deal that show sample contracts etc. American orientated its still worth a look.
    by Anna Reynolds at 13:39 on 06 June 2003
    Not a book, but the Writers Guild might be useful, and Shooting People, and the Raindance sites. And wherever you live, your local arts board (start with www.artscouncil.org.uk) will almost certainly be able to help.
    by stephanieE at 17:45 on 06 June 2003
    I bought a book called 'The Art and Science of Screenwriting' by Philip Parker published by Intellect books. It's not heavy on the business side, but has a chapter of handy hints for the beginner. Mostly it focusses on crafting your screenplay - themes, story structure etc etc. Overall though, it was easy to access and I found it handy. I'm sure there are dozens of better ones out there - at least start with the Writers and Artists Yearbook which has valued advice on copyright and the like plus all the addresses you may ever need (but phone to confirm businesses are still trading first...) And Raindance are genuinely enthusiastic and informative, although focussed on film rather than theatre/TV.

Good luck