Login   Sign Up 

• Harry Bowling Prize 2004
    by Account Closed at 16:19 on 05 November 2004
    Did anyone enter this comp? I did but have heard nothing and found nothing about the winners or shortlist which was supposed to be announced on 30th June with the winner announced in September at an award ceremony. With my entry I sent a money order for £10 to MBA literary agency and emailed them recently to ask for news. Guess what? Nothing.

So, is it a rip-off? I can accept that I didn't win but that nobody won...

Anyone know anything?

Elspeth
  • Re: Harry Bowling Prize 2004
    by Anna Reynolds at 16:44 on 05 November 2004
    Gosh, never heard of it- can you tell me where/how you found out about it?
    by Account Closed at 16:49 on 05 November 2004
    Good question, Anna. I think I found it on the pulp site but it's in the W&A Handbook although they only ever mention the 2002 winners.
    Elspeth
    by Account Closed at 16:00 on 06 November 2004
    Just bumping this one up, to make sure no-one misses it!
    Elspeth
    by Anna Reynolds at 17:21 on 30 November 2004
    We've had an email regarding this:

'I noticed someone in your Competitions forum mentioned the Harry Bowling Prize 2004. Since I am not a member I could not reply to the post, but basically wanted to relay that I too entered the competition and never heard back from them. However, I have located a website with contact details about the prize. The website is http://www.mbalit.demon.co.uk/ The email contact is Dana Arnott on dana@mbalit.co.uk
    I would like to get to the bottom of this competition as well, especially since it was advertised in various literary sites. Hope someone has a bit of luck with this.'

....so there you are, any use?
    by Account Closed at 17:43 on 30 November 2004
    Thanks for posting that Anna. I have tried emailing that address but got no reply...

Elspeth

<Added>

I just tried again and my email bounced.

<Added>

Sorry, it must have been from my side. It has worked now.
    by Anna Reynolds at 19:27 on 30 November 2004
    Wow, this is a real mystery. I guess we'll just have to see if anything else pops up?
    by Account Closed at 19:29 on 30 November 2004
    Anna, I've just sent an email to all the other agents listed in this agency, flagging this page so maybe one of them will get back to us.
    Elspeth
    by Account Closed at 10:31 on 01 December 2004
    Update:

I am sorry for the delay in announcing the results on the Harry Bowling website. I have been very busy since September. I will update the website soon and in the meantime, I will e-mail you the shortlist today.

Kind regards,

Dana Arnott
    by Anna Reynolds at 10:35 on 01 December 2004
    Yes, I've had the exact same response, so it works!
    by Account Closed at 11:36 on 01 December 2004
    and finally:

I am sorry for the delay and I am sending you the details of this prize which was held at Elena’s L’Etoile on Charlotte Street in London on 22 September 2004.

Clio Gray LONDON SPIRES winner (she came all the way from Scotland for the evening!)

Runners up

Francis Alderson SATAN’S KINGDOM

Sylvia Dyer EVERY STEP OF THE WAY

Ruth France MINNIE

David Gould WAYS OF THE WORLD

Peter Peacock STEALING THUNDER

Eira Reed THE CUTTINGS

Clio received a cheque for £1,000, the runners up £100 each, generously provided by Headline.

The website will be updated next week.

Thanks and best wishes,

Dana Arnott

(The mystery is solved!)

by Fubsy at 20:42 on 31 March 2005
    Maybe I can put many out of your misery re Harry Bowling Prize. It is not a con, far from it. I also entered for the second year running in 2004. In late August received call from agency running comp that I was shortlisted and invited to the awards, which took place in October in London and a smashing time had by all. I didn't win but was a runner-up, receiving a cheque plus other prizes. Agency also offered to read whole book (mine was the only shortlisted novel actually finished!)with a view to taking me on. Sadly they declined but the feedback and suggestions were wonderful, the people I met most helpful and nothing has spured me on to succeed than that comp. They had over 90 entries this year, far more than in the previous two years and hence was why late in announcing outcome. Previous year I did eventually received a letter advising my submission hadn't got through but that didn't deter me from entering again. Can't understand why those not shortlisted last year hadn't received letter thanking for entry - perhaps it was just the sheer volume and pressure.
    Fubsy
    by Fubsy at 20:54 on 31 March 2005
    Oops - new to site and hadn't realised other comments were at bottom of page - I can see Dana has already posted details of last year's comp and I'm there under my real name!

For those that did enter and didn't get anywhere - give it another go, you've nothing to lose. I haven't entered this year as have been busy rewriting and improving my novel following suggestions MBA made.

Happy writing folks
    Fubsy
    by choille at 22:50 on 31 March 2005
    Clio Gray wins loads of short story competitions. She has just set up a link up with writers in the scot highlands, That's if it's the same person, I am sure it will be. This is very uncanny as i hadn't heard of her a few weeks ago & now her name is popping up everywhere.
    caroline