This 44 message thread spans 3 pages:  < <   1  2  3  > >  
  • Re: 7th Quark Frantic Fiction competition
    by Pink Vincent at 12:27 on 31 December 2004
    See, told you it was easy!

writer's block....never
    by anisoara at 13:01 on 31 December 2004
    I'm impressed, you two!

How is this going to work then? I'm already registered for the flash. I just receive the prompt by email, and then send it back by email? Is that it or is there anything else involved? I'm afraid I'm going to make a technical blunder, and I'm not even talking about the writing yet! LOL
    by Account Closed at 13:04 on 31 December 2004
    Sounds good, Ani - oh, in between the two emails you have to write a flash, don't forget!
    E
    by Pink Vincent at 13:07 on 31 December 2004
    What name are you registered under~?

Simply, those who are competing should get an email at 9PM UK time that night

and then they send the story by 11PM

My advice would be to think 75 minutes or less not 120 minutes

I usally find that faster-written stories are better.

Instructions will be repeated in the email containing prompts

You should just "try"

here's some prompts

Wave

Dogs and Other Riff-Raff

Current Account

The Difference Between Magnolia and Cream

I Would Rather Not

Call Me Snail-Mail

alex

by Account Closed at 13:16 on 31 December 2004
    Just finished my flash!

<Added>

http://www.writewords.org.uk/archive/8136.asp
    by anisoara at 13:19 on 31 December 2004
    I'm registered as Anne Marie Jackson. I sent in my cheque before I'd been given a subscriver number, so I am a little worried.

Okay, here are all the prompts but one.

Death. That’s the difference between magnolia and cream. Janette’s magnolia now, with that pale waxy pallor. And Popsicle’s still at the vet, recovering from her latest bout of chemo. Who’s going to pay to get him out? I would rather not be saddled with the responsibility, and there’s nothing in my current account anyway. But who else is going to?

“Yes, that’s her,” I tell the man in the white coat. He gives me a form and tells me to sign by the pencilled cross. As they pull up the sheet and wheel the trolley away, a wave of putrefaction rolls under my nose.
    by anisoara at 13:19 on 31 December 2004
    You go girl!!!
    by Account Closed at 13:23 on 31 December 2004
    Ani, that is goood. Sunday is going to be fun!
    by anisoara at 13:26 on 31 December 2004
    Yes, it is!
    by Dee at 14:10 on 31 December 2004
    Pink Vincent, I’ve been looking back over a couple of threads to find out how I can subscribe to Seventh Quark and now I’m slightly confused. Are you and Snowball partners? Twins? (you share the same birthdate) Or are you the same person with two usernames?

Dee
    by Pink Vincent at 16:22 on 31 December 2004
    yes, I'm Snowball (or Alex Keegan)

I registered a month ago, that lapsed.

i regged today because I was emailed to say
    that some people may have got the word-count wrong
    on the Frantic Flash
    by Dee at 16:41 on 31 December 2004
    So… I’m even more confused now… if you’re Alex Keegan, who is Vincent Pink? Why pretend you’re a different person?

Dee
    by Pink Vincent at 16:57 on 31 December 2004
    Not "pretending" anything.

is Buckheart really called Buckheart?
    is melpepper1 really married to Mr Melpepper?

It's just a sign-in, OK?

Judge the posts. Alex Keegan is my author-name, and if you check the posts you'll see I signed them AK. But then again my birth certificate doesn't say "Alex Keegan" either.
    by Dee at 17:38 on 31 December 2004
    is melpepper1 really married to Mr Melpepper?

Sorry, you’ll have to explain that.

My point is – if you’ve only re-registered to clarify the misconception people had about the word count on Frantic Flash (great idea, by the way) why use a different name? Unless it’s because you’ve already had a free month and can’t join again as the same person.

Alex, let’s stop whacking the bushes here – you originally joined this site to promote SQ – and from what I’ve seen it’s a damned good site which will benefit writers of all levels – so no harm in that. You’ve had several WW members sign up for it. Why don’t you just put your money down and pay a year’s subscription to this site? Then you will have the credibility that you’re doing more than simply promoting your own services.

You have a lot to offer this site – and a hell of a lot to gain from it if you’re genuine.

Happy New Year!

Dee
    by Pink Vincent at 18:04 on 31 December 2004
    Hey, hold up! I already explained that was why I re-regged.

It has cost me £10,000 to set up Seventh Quark. I'm a literary writer.
    That 10K represents a year's wages to me. (I did it all on cards and a loan).
    I don't have spare cash lying around, not even £35 for this.

But I HAVE already given people two places to send stories.

I have already taken a WW writer to publish in 7Q

I have already offered advice and URLs, and tips.

I felt that the small correction and those tips/URLs was "payment" for intruding.

In Boot Camp Pro (which now charges) I used to allow two or three "old hands"
    to hang-out there free because they paid for their presence with their advice
    and the odd crit to balance mine. The reason I set up BC (which was free for years)
    was because when I was in forums I was either being flamed or answering a huge
    backlog of requests for advice.

I've published five novels, one shortlisted for an international award. Won ten first prizes
    for literary short fiction, published 300-400 times in all, 60 craft articles, been editor
    of a literary magazine, and now am editing/running another. I love helping beginning writers
    but paying for membership to somewhere which will ultimately REDUCE my personal
    writing time seems odd, to say the least.

It's not that I don't admire the site. I do. But I have a huge investment in time in Boot Camp,
    I'll be shortlisting for a mere 22 competitions in 2005, putting together 6 issues of 7th Quark,
    and of course writing for myself (and I'm a house-husband!)

AK

• This 44 message thread spans 3 pages:  < <   1  2  3  > >