Login   Sign Up 

• General Competitions
    by Crispin at 18:23 on 09 December 2004
    Does anyone have any views on general fiction competitions? Which ones are worthwhile and which are thinly-disguised vanity publishing. I guess the Bridport is pretty-much top notch (in the UK at least). What about others?

Best

Crispin.
  • Re: General Competitions
    by Anna Reynolds at 23:28 on 09 December 2004
    Short story or novel? There's the Fish Unpublished Novel comp, The Asham Award- tho that might be just women maybe.. it is, I've just checked. Cadenza magazine...A and C Black Children's Writing...
    by Account Closed at 15:02 on 10 December 2004
    Crispin, if you look through the jobs & opps section, you'll find a lot of comps. As yet, none have turned out to be duds.
    Elspeth
    by choille at 13:21 on 29 March 2005
    There is the \scotsman/orange short story competition, but unfortunately the closing date is past,
    Ther is the New writing competition, don't think either of these have an entry fee- which I think means they are credible.
    Caroline

<Added>

The Scotsman one is free and has a first prize of £7,500. The closing date was 31st Jan, but they have one once a year.
    by Colin-M at 16:33 on 29 March 2005
    Other the Fish competition, the only one I know of that I would actually enter is the Biscuit competition. They used to give a prize plus a contract for a 40,000 word novella. This year they seem to have dropped that, but the winner gets £1000.

The main difference this year is the idea that people can submit portfolios.

I'm not quite sure I follow this portfolio thing. I get the impression that a portfolio is one complete short story (around 3000 words) plus the first 250-350 words of three other short stories (which must be complete). It all seems a bit complicated. I think I'll email the organiser and find out if I've got it wrong.

Anyway, for anyone interested... Biscuit Publishing.

And if I remember right, there's an interview with the organiser on this site. Gimme a second...

aha! ... Brian Lister

Colin M.

<Added>

mean to say other than the fish competition...

duh!