Login   Sign Up 

Random Read

• Litidol Crime & Thriller
    by word`s worth at 13:53 on 13 December 2004
    My apologies if this has been questioned before but I'm a little confused (what a surprise!)

The LitIdol shorlisted finalists must each read an extract at the London Book Fair -March 2005 -

That's clear enough, but then:

The winner of Litidol will be expected to have completed their manuscript by 15th May 2005. Otherwise the prize will be null and void.

Fair enough, guvna' but then:

If you are shortlisted, you must have a finished manuscript by 3 weeks pre-show otherwise you will be excluded.

Finished manuscript 3 weeks pre-show - meaning 3 weeks pre-March 2005 and yet they've said also that it has to be finished by 15, May 2005....

Have I read it wrong??? or did they write it wrong???

<Added>

Just to add that the above I copy and pasted from the WW Jobs & Opps. I've had a look at the Lit Idol website and I can't find the part about a finished manuscript by 3 weeks pre-show anywhere in the rules and regulations of the comp. Where did this info come from?
  • Re: Litidol Crime & Thriller
    by Code One at 14:31 on 13 December 2004
    I can answer this for you. I was similarly confused by the lines you mention when I first read them. So I contacted the organisers. I was told that they had decided to change the rules for 2005 to ensure that only writers with near-complete MSs could enter. This was because the 2004 winner had been put under a lot of pressure to finish his novel soon after the competition ended. To make matters worse, this meant he wasn't able to put in personal appearances to help with publicity.

Yet this demand for only near-complete novels was not made clear in the submission guidelines. What they were initially intending was that, if shortlisted, you would show evidence of a completed MS 3 weeks prior to the final winner being announced. That 15 May deadline is for a "final final" MS.

Anyway, I had a bit of a discussion about this and got a call back later saying that this stipulation was to be withdrawn. The rules would remain as they were for the 2004 comp.

The offending line was deleted from the Lit Idol website, but obviously any other sites that lifted the original text will still be carrying the error. Rest assured, you do not need a finished MS before the winning entry is announced. That said, you do need to be well down the line with your writing as you will need to complete your novel by 15 May.

Best of luck.

"Cody"
  • Re: Litidol Crime & Thriller
    by word`s worth at 14:43 on 13 December 2004
    Thanks, Cody, for clearing that up. Personally, I'm relieved that they've decided to do away with that pre-requisite - talk about pressure!!

Good news! Thanks again!

Nahed