Login   Sign Up 

• 2005 Commonwealth Short Story Competition
    by anisoara at 10:49 on 04 January 2005
    I've just received this in my mailbox:

2005 COMMONWEALTH SHORT STORY COMPETITION

*1st Prize: £2,000*

Entries are now invited for the 2005 Commonwealth Short Story Competition.

The deadline for receipt of stories is **1 May 2005**.

There is no entry fee and no entry form. Only the winners will be notified and entries will not be returned.

*RULES & REGULATIONS*

- All Commonwealth citizens will be eligible to participate in the Competition. There is no age limit and authors may be either amateurs or professionals.

- The stories may have any theme or subject, but should be 4’30” when read aloud (approximately 600 words).

- The stories shall be original and should not have been previously published anywhere.

- All entries must be in English

- Maximum of three entries per writer.

- Entries should be typewritten or word-processed, on one side of paper, double-spaced and include the word count.

- Name, address, telephone number and email address of the writer (where available) must appear on entry.

- Entries by email or fax must include name and full postal address and contact details of the writer.

- If submitting a story by e-mail, please incorporate it into the message rather than use attachments – to avoid viruses.

- If you are a winner, you assign the broadcasting rights (including audio on demand) for ten years to the Commonwealth Broadcasting Association to pass on to its members but you retain the copyright. You also assign publication rights for ten years to the CBA and Commonwealth Foundation, and the rights for the story to be sold on any audio medium by the CBA. Both these rights are non-exclusive.

- Entries will not be returned or acknowledged. We advise that stories be sent by registered mail if you require a confirmation of receipt.

- Only the winners will be notified. The names of the winners will be published in “Commonwealth Broadcaster”, on the CBA website at www.cba.org.uk and in the press and broadcast media of Commonwealth countries.

The aim is to promote the Commonwealth through broadcasting high quality short stories submitted by Commonwealth writers. The competition is administered by the Commonwealth Broadcasting Association with funding from the Commonwealth Foundation.

*HOW TO ENTER*

All entries for the 2005 competition should be sent to:

Commonwealth Broadcasting Association

17 Fleet Street,

London EC4Y 1AA

Tel: +44 (0)20 7583 5550

Fax: +44 (0)20 7583 5549

Email: story@cba.org.uk

• Re: 2005 Commonwealth Short Story Competition
    by Jardinery at 11:55 on 04 January 2005
    I didn't enter this before as I don't think I have anything suitable to be read aloud but frankly what harm is in trying?
    thanks for the reminder.
  • Re: 2005 Commonwealth Short Story Competition
    by anisoara at 12:00 on 04 January 2005
    I know what you mean - no entry fee, and only about 600 words!