Login   Sign Up 

• What counts as published work?
    by Colin-M at 19:56 on 29 January 2005
    Just wondering if a story included in my local writers' group anthology counts as published. The collection was a short run and did not have an ISBN number. I produced it myself, so technically, I suppose I was my own publisher, but that doesn't sound right. It was not done for profit either. I'm just wondering if I would be able to enter that story in a competition that specifies unpublished work only.

Colin M
  • Re: What counts as published work?
    by Dee at 21:35 on 29 January 2005
    I would say it’s published, Colin. Sorry.

Thinking about it, it might depend on the comp organisers. Why don’t you contact them to ask? Better to find out first than risk being disappointed later.

Dee
    by Colin-M at 22:32 on 29 January 2005
    Just got an email from a publisher, who basically said, sod it, enter it; the rule is there to avoid complicated copyright problems, should the original publisher feel miffed. As that was me, there shouldn't be a problem.

The reason why I think it shouldn't be classed as published is because no third person has invested money in that story. If I just got a few pages of text on A4, got a local printer to knock them out and staple them for me, would that count as being published. The only difference is a few more pages and better typesetting.

Colin M
    by Dee at 22:35 on 29 January 2005
    Sounds logical.

Dee